Director/Associate Director - Index Research & Design
Duties & accountabilities
- Leading the Asian Index R&D Team and contributing to global index R&D projects
- Working with product management and business development to build business cases for new indices
- Being able to deliver complex projects involving sales, product specialist and implementation teams.
- Representing Indices as a product expert to clients and to understand client requirements
- Development of new benchmark and tradable bond indices in conjunction with key index stakeholders.
- Analysis of markets and data collection, researching and developing new index methodologies.
- Extensive modeling of index methodologies in order to produce index constituent list and weights, and to back-test results.
- Writing of index specification guides, fact sheets, operating manuals and business cases.
- Index setup and calculation: develop calculation prototypes and test cases for new indices; perform test calculations and reconciliation of the results with clients.
- Quality control: daily checks and testing of index calculation and output files around the release of new indices
Education and experience
- 7+ years' experience with indices, either through direct index research and design, product structuring or within the context of a portfolio management, fixed income research or investment analysis based role.
- Proven capability to create indices or use indices within financial products or asset management
- Comfortable with standard index and index management approaches as well as more sophisticated constrained indices, sampling techniques, indices of indices, etc.
- In-depth knowledge of either bonds, bond analytics or equities and equity derivatives and Excel modeling.
- A degree in a highly numerate discipline such as economics, financial mathematics or engineering.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving abilities and modeling.
- Preferable IT skills (Python, SQL, VBA, Excel)
- Knowledge of a local language (Chinese, Japanese or Korean) a plus
- CFA or MBA in Finance are viewed as an advantage
- A high degree of awareness of the financial/resource implications of index design decisions is required.
- A good commercial sense around the P&L impact of new indices and index decisions.
- A keen interest in the developments and trends within financial markets in areas such as fixed income, asset management and ETFs.
The individual needs to be detail oriented to build high quality, innovative products and possess the ability to understand business objectives and focus and prioritise multiple projects accordingly.
- Highly motivated and eager to take the initiative
- Creative and being able to adapt to changing priorities and deadlines in a fast paced environment
- Excellent attention to detail, both numerically and in written material
- Strong problem solving skills
- Strong Mathematical skills
- Strong work ethic
- High standard of verbal and written communication with internal and external audiences
- Strong presentation skills, both verbal and written
Must be able to work collaboratively with other index and product specialists.