Equity Analyst / Senior Analyst - TMT
About the Firm
Sands Capital is an independent, employee-owned investment management firm based in Arlington, Virginia that manages approximately $45 billion in client assets. All of Sands Capital's strategies employ a fundamental, bottom-up research process that uses our six investment criteria to identify high-quality growth businesses that we can own for the long term in concentrated portfolios. We invest on a global basis across the life cycle from early-stage private businesses to leading public companies.
Identified below are our Core Values that we hold in high regard and believe are critical for high-performing teams and individuals at Sands Capital:
Integrity & Trust: Do what is right, not what is popular. Deliver on commitments.
Client-Centered: Always act in the best interest of our clients.
Commitment to Excellence: Strive to learn and improve. Implement best practices.
We are looking for a mid or senior level Equity Analyst to join the Technology sector of our Investment Team. The Tech Team currently consists of six members and the new Analyst is expected to work collaboratively as a peer amongst three other experienced Analysts and as a mentor / role model to three Research Associates. The “Technology Sector” is defined broadly and the team is responsible for most of Software, Internet, Telecommunications, Media, and Semi investments that are held across multiple public & private strategies. Talent & fit are the most important attributes we are looking for, but experience beyond the software and Internet segments is preferred given we have existing expertise in these areas.
The Analyst's primary job function is to assist the firm in fulfilling its mission, which is “to enhance the wealth of our clients with prudence over time.” Our research approach is to scour the earth looking to invest in the best, most innovative growth businesses. Once we find them, we take large, concentrated positions and look to hold investments for many consecutive years. The output of this low turnover, concentrated approach is that mid/senior level Analysts are expected to perform deep, fundamental research becoming foremost experts on the businesses and spaces they cover. Sometimes work on a single, potential investment can take months and often won't lead to any action. It is imperative the Analyst is able to lead the end-to-end investment process with a high degree of autonomy, generate differentiated insights, communicate effectively, and take ownership / accountability for investment outcomes at an individual and team level.
- Be able to lead the end-to-end research process which includes:
- Idea generation
- Deep fundamental, bottoms up diligence
- Working alongside and educating portfolio managers
- Recommending investment actions
- Ongoing coverage of holdings
Essential Functions (continued)
- Develop domain expertise, becoming a foremost expert on companies and spaces within the technology sector:
- Build relationships with management from companies and experts across the value chain
- Think creatively and be able to generate differentiated insights on businesses and spaces:
- We spend a tremendous amount of time thinking about revenues three and five years out as well as structural earnings power. This often involves creative approaches to solving complex questions.
- Work collaboratively as part of a team:
- Be able to constructively and respectfully dissent and debate ideas
- Communicate research via written and oral reports both in small and large group settings.
- Participate in Management and Client Service/Business Development efforts, as needed.
- Function as manager to a Research Associate(s) on the team while also serving as a mentor and role model for Research Associates and/or Interns across the Investment team
Necessary Skills and Qualifications
- A passion for investment research
- 5 or more years of industry experience, preferably on the buy-side
- Outstanding analytical and strategic aptitude
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Superior modeling/Excel skills
- Strong work ethic, diligence, and an ability to complete assigned projects in a timely manner without direct supervision
- MBA preferred, but not required
- CFA preferred, but not required
- Position requires global travel (~ 40% of time)
To be considered, candidates must submit a resume and cover letter that specifically outlines your qualifications for the position.
If you wish to apply for this position, please apply here: https://careers-sandscapital.icims.com/jobs/1027/equity-analyst---senior-analyst---tmt/job
You may also check http://sandscapital.com/careers/ for other opportunities of interest.
We offer competitive salaries and generous benefits.
Sands Capital Management is an Equal Opportunity Employer.