AVP Wholesale Credit Sanctioning
About Wholesale Credit Sanctioning
Wholesale Credit Sanctioning supports Corporate Banking, Investment Banking and Wealth business lines, and is divided into sanctioning teams which cover specific geographical, industry or product sectors. Each team contains a number of Credit Responsible Executives ("CREs") who have overall responsibility for the management of the credit risks associated with the counterparties within their designated portfolios.
Overall purpose of role
- Effective credit risk management (evaluation of risk/exposure management) of credits within the North American Industrials and Healthcare sectors
- Prudent and appropriate use of delegated discretion to approve the granting of credit approval in accordance with Bank policy
- Ensuring continued growth of the business without incurring unmanageable risks
- Engage in assessing and making recommendations of proposals received from business development/product areas
- Stay current with financial analysis and risk profile of the assigned sector, borrowers and counterparties
- Alerting senior management to negative developments and trends within the assigned sectors and clients
- Maintain integrity of credit risk function whilst ensuring that the team continues to fully support Front Office relationship and sales staff.
- Prepare credit papers for new transactions, annual reviews, and quarterly reviews/Watchlist reports for submission for approval through relevant discretion processes and where appropriate, present those credits at relevant Credit Committees. Assist senior team members in the preparation of Global/Regional Industry reviews.
- Support ensuring that the approvals are within the defined Limits and Mandate and Scale set for the Sector.
Stakeholder Management and Leadership
- Act as a point of contact within the Sector for the various Sales, IBD, Coverage, Product, Portfolio Management, Multi-National Corporate Banking teams. Interactions will primarily include from MD to Analyst level.
- Liaise with support functions across Investment Bank/Wealth and Corporate where appropriate for Legal; Compliance; Operations; IBD; Corp Banking International etc in support of approval and managing the credit risk associated with each client.
- Counterparty/borrower due diligence, including participation in conference calls/meetings with client senior management, Relationship Executives, and Sales personnel.
Decision-making and Problem Solving
- Requests increases/ changes in limits following Credit approval.
- Maintain data integrity of appropriate Credit Risk systems (e.g. GCIS) and ensure they reflect the approved sanction.
- Approve utilization of sanctioned limits within discretion and approve excesses within authority of agreed limits and ownership of resolution.
- Supported by the use of both internal and external financial models, the candidate analyzes: (1) the probability of default of the client based on its capitalization structure, ability to generate cash flow to meet debt requirements, and (2) the loss given default/probable recovery of the principal due under the contract. The analysis to be performed for each transaction entails a thorough review of the client historical operating performance (analysis of balance sheet, cash flow and income statement), ability to achieve projected future results based on a set of variables (including, but not limited to, market conditions, regulations, competition, etc.), review of legal documentation with a specific focus on credit terms.
Essential Skills/Basic Qualifications:
- Bachelors degree in Business Administration, Finance, or Economics
Desirable skills/Preferred Qualifications:
- Strong understanding of corporate finance and banking products
- Strong product and Industrial / Healthcare industry knowledge
- Independent problem solving skills
- An MBA, CPA, or CFA and Formal Credit training preferred.
- Possess strong analytical skills with attention to detail, ability to provide big picture decision making, and ability to mentor junior staff.
- Possess strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills, and have the ability to clearly articulate complex concepts and ideas.
- Knowledge of Loan, High Yield and derivatives documentation.
- Possess a high degree of self-motivation, the ability to drive for results, and track record of setting and achieving goals and meeting schedules.
- Excellent influencing and negotiating skills.
- Team player
- Experience in credit risk or relevant experience, preferably gained at a major institution, covering both Investment Grade and Leveraged and/or Sub-Investment Grade clients