Associate to Research Analyst
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
Financial Services Investment Bank looking for an Equity Research Associate to support its Senior Research Analyst. The ideal candidate should have excellent written and verbal skills, a strong grasp of basic accounting and finance principles, exceptional analytical skills, familiarity with financial modeling concepts, and a keen desire to learn about the banking industry. The candidate would also have the ability to multitask and strong time management skills. Responsibilities include financial modeling and forecasting, company and industry specific research, and organizational support for the Senior Research Analyst. With experience, the position will require increasing management and client interaction. Some travel required.
- Build and maintain Excel-based financial models, including income statements, balance sheets, statements of cash flows, and discounted cash flow analysis.
- Formulate mathematical or simulation models of problems, relating constants and variables, restrictions, alternatives, conflicting objectives, and their numerical parameters.
- Monitoring of news wires and financial releases and provided analysis.
- Building and updating comp sheets.
- Building and maintaining databases of relevant industry and company specific data.
- Respond to questions from institutional sales and clients regarding covered companies, the banking industry, and data requests.
- Develop written product with modest supervision.
- Able to evaluate basic valuation methodologies for stocks under coverage and the broader sector.
- Maintain marketing materials and presentations.
- Meets the special projects demands of the Senior Analyst.
- Continues to build industry knowledge and develop external sources (management teams, suppliers, and customers). Must be able to integrate these sources in the research product.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- B.S. or B.A. in accounting, business, or finance related field
- Strong work ethic and flexibility to work long hours when needed
- Prior work experience in equity research, commercial and/or investment banking, accounting, consulting, or related investment position
- MBA and CFA/CPA (pursuing or completed) ideal but not required
- Outstanding analytical skills and critical thinking
- Solid understanding of financial modeling
- Strong written communication skills (writing samples may be required)
- Strong interpersonal and oral communication skills
- Detailed oriented with an ability to multi-task
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Series 7, 63 within six months of hire, 86 & 87 shortly afterward