Has primary responsibility for directing the investment policy, custody of funds and securities, cash management and banking activities, property management and building operations, and church and mortgage loan processing. Maintains banking relations, manages the cash position of the company, and ensures adequate funds to meet corporate plans and obligations. Directs corporate cashier activities including proper signature and endorsement of corporate checks, notes and bonds. Decides on appropriate investment opportunities within authority limits. Manages the performance of the third party asset management firm within the guidelines of investment policy. Relocation will NOT be offered for this position.
- Directs and manages corporate funds within the guidelines of the investment policy.
- Advises the company on financial matters, including interest crediting rates.
- Manages and accountable for investment of corporate funds, to include: research, analysis and buying and selling of debt and equity securities.
- Prepares and maintains documentation of investment transactions and assists with reconciliations.
- Manages and accountable for investment of excess cash funds held in operating account.
- Daily cash management; monitoring of funding of bank accounts.
- Modeling of mortgage back securities i.e., CMBS, CMO, RMBS.
- Manages church and mortgage loan portfolio.
- Makes presentation of investment activity to Board and/or the appropriate committees to determine rates to be paid on our financial products.
- Reviews and presents quarterly and annual financial statements to Board of Directors in the absence of Controller.
- Maintains and manages the relationship with A.M. Best rating agency, to include preparation of A.M. Best reports.
- Maintains and manages the performance of the third party asset management firm within the guidelines of investment policy.
- Provides data to third party actuary for cash flow testing and analysis.
- Optimizes the handling of bank and deposit relationships and initiates appropriate strategies to enhance cash position.
- Administers and manages employee retirement benefit plans i.e., Defined Benefit and Defined Contribution Plans.
- Responsible for the regulatory reporting for the Defined Benefit and Defined Contribution Plans to include tax returns and footnote preparation.
- Oversees and administers property management and leasing to include drafting and management of leases and lease renewals.
- Research variances of investment accounts/records.
- Back-up to Controller to approve journal entries and check requests.
- Serves on various committees.
- Stay abreast of regulatory reporting requirements.
- Responsible for preparation of annual and quarterly regulatory filings in regard to investments and leasing/property management.
- Manages budget and controls expenses effectively within department.
- Hires, trains, develops and appraises staff effectively. Takes corrective action as necessary on a timely basis and in accordance with company policy. Consults with Human Resources as appropriate.
- Must attend 3 Branch Socials each year.
- Business Acumen
- Coaching-Training/Performance Management
- Communication – Oral, Written, Attention To & Persuasive
- Emotional Intelligence
- Financial Management
- Fiscal Responsibility
- Quality Output
- Strategic Thinking & Planning/Problem Solving/Vision
- Team Building/Leadership/Change Leadership
- Technical Expertise – Institutional Investing
This position is accountable for the performance management, employee development, employee relations and staffing and hiring within the department.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and fax machines.
This is a largely sedentary role, must be able to remain in a stationary position at least 50% of the time. Filing, printing, faxing, scanning and copying is required; this requires the ability to move about the office and position self to access equipment and file cabinets, transport items (files, box of paper, etc.) weighing up to 20 lbs., and ascend/descend step ladder/stool as necessary. The position requires extended hours in front of a computer screen and operation of a computer and other office equipment such as a calculator, and copy machine. This position requires the ability to communicate and exchange accurate information via telephone and in person.
Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Regular office hours are Monday through Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Friday 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand. This position requires face to face and in-person interaction and needs to be in the office during regular office hours to access information kept on-site.
Infrequent travel required for this position, less than 10%. Travel may be outside local area and overnight.
Required Education and Experience
- MBA and/or CFA Designation
- Minimum 5 years of institutional investing experience
- Working knowledge of financial accounting and investment regulatory reporting
Preferred Education and Experience
- Experience with Bloomberg software
- Minimum 5 years related experience in a senior management or 2 years in a C Level position, within the insurance/financial industry
- Professional Designations: CPA, CTP