Senior Portfolio Manager

5 days left

Boston, Massachusetts (US)
ZAM offers compensation that includes base salary, annual bonus, equity participation, and benefits
Dec 28, 2017
Feb 26, 2018
CFA Charterholder
Employment Type
Full Time

Company Summary

Zevin Asset Management (ZAM) is a Boston-based employee owned firm specializing in Socially Responsible Investing.  Our investment approach is based on the unfashionable idea that avoiding losses in the short term is the best way to ensure good returns in the longer term. 


Roughly 80% of our clients are individuals, family foundations, trusts and retirement accounts.  The other 20% are institutions.    Most of our clients are attracted both by our long history of active engagement in the socially responsible investment movement and by our investment philosophy and long-term results.


Position Summary – Portfolio Manager

The Senior Portfolio Manager will take over existing accounts from a retiring senior portfolio manager and will also be expected to manage a portion of future new business.She or he will also have a desire to grow our firm and be proactive in establishing new client relationships through referrals and new business contacts.  The Senior Portfolio Manager will participate actively in every aspect of the process that determines our investment portfolios.  The most important contribution that any portfolio manager can make to our growth will always result from delivering totally satisfactory results and communications to each existing client.

Job Description

The PM will build and manage portfolios of individual securities for a large number of client accounts with varying risk profiles and social concerns.  He or she will manage and coordinate the day-to-day communications with clients, including responding to requests for information, helping them plan and evaluate financial events such as home, car, or other asset purchases, assistance with estate planning questions, referral to estate and tax experts as appropriate, and providing explanations and detail regarding actions taken or contemplated with their portfolios.  A further responsibility will be to develop, document, implement, and regularly update each client’s investment objectives and circumstances.

The PM will regularly review and update each client’s portfolio. This will include evaluating, following, and updating securities clients may bring to the firm that are not actively followed; researching and following securities to determine if they continue to be appropriate for the client; and researching and evaluating appropriate fixed income securities including municipal bonds, treasury bonds, corporate debt, agency bonds, or alternative or green securities that might better match the clients profile. 

PM’s prepare purchase and sell orders for our traders to execute.  They also send quarterly letters and performance updates to their clients.  They prepare for and participate in meetings with clients and prospective clients, conferences, and institutional presentations.

The PM’s are expected to actively participate in Investment Committee meetings as well as mentor and assist less experienced members of the Investment Committee.


Skills and Experience

The position calls for a mature, analytical, and trustworthy individual with strong finance, portfolio management and communication skills. If you have the following, we’d like to hear from you:

  • Knowledge of, and interest in, investments screened with environmental, social, and governance concerns.  
  • Comfort with an investment methodology using a top down approach that is strongly focused on avoiding large losses rather than maximizing potential gains. 
  • We will favor competent users, and better still practitioners, of econometrics and basic quantitative finance techniques. 
  • We would like to see a minimum of 10 years’ experience managing individual portfolios. 
  • Holding a CFA charter as well as graduate degree will be strongly preferred. 
  • We would like you to have experience providing advice to individual clients about investments as well as related matters.


Zevin Asset Management offers a compensation program that includes base salary, annual bonus, and equity participation in the business.  Additionally, we provide fully paid health insurance, a fully paid defined benefit retirement plan and full compensation for public transportation commuting costs. 


To apply, please send a resume, cover letter, and writing sample to No phone calls please.

Zevin Asset Management, LLC is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, class, age, religion, disability that can be accommodated, marital status, ancestry, nationality, family status or sexual orientation.