Private Fixed Income Credit Analyst
The Private Fixed Income Credit Analyst is responsible for conducting fundamental financial statement analysis and credit research that will enhance Athene Asset Management, L.P.’s ability to monitor and effectively manage risk within various portfolios of private fixed income investments. This individual will formulate and maintain forward looking investment recommendations (Buy/Sell/Hold), and outlooks, assign and maintain internal ratings and develop credit strategy through a fundamental assessment and outlook for securities held in the portfolio. This will include proactive and comprehensive communication (both written and verbal) with portfolio managers and other analysts on relevant credit issues, industry developments and views, investment recommendations, and idea generation, often with limited supervision or direction.
The incumbent may also assist with other portfolio management activities such as special projects, performance measurement, portfolio pricing, and management reporting activities.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Perform independent credit and security analysis to control risk and to help develop actionable credit strategies for private fixed income investments. This will include the underwriting of new investments and actively monitoring existing holdings to effectively manage credit risk for various private fixed income portfolios. This will be accomplished by independently evaluating company news and releases, participating in earnings calls, compiling, modeling, and analyzing company and industry financial data (both qualitative and quantitative). The analyst will assess the financial strength and operating trends of the issuer. The incumbent is responsible for assigning and maintaining an internal rating for the issuer. Previous experience conducting fundamental credit research and a strong understanding of financial reporting, various capital and deal structures, and accounting principles is required.
• Demonstrate a comprehensive knowledge of macro-economic events, the impact such events may have on specific issuers or sectors and make recommendations accordingly.
• Analyze and monitor issuer covenant compliance and applicable legal documentation issues on existing portfolio holdings. This analysis includes the review and evaluation of investment covenant compliance ratios and other contractual restrictions with the objective of proactively identifying, and making timely portfolio action recommendations for, prospective changes in credit quality.
• Formulate and maintain forward looking investment recommendations (Buy/Sell/Hold), evaluate and maintain internal ratings, develop credit strategy through a fundamental assessment and outlook for securities held in the portfolio. This will include proactive and comprehensive communication (both written and verbal) with portfolio managers and other analysts on relevant credit issues, industry developments and views, investment recommendations, and idea generation.
• Provide support to portfolio managers in the underwriting and evaluation of potential new issues and servicing actions, including industry and issuer analysis, and take an increasingly active role in the due diligence process for new issues.
• Establish, develop and maintain effective relationships with an investment contact network to maximize the flow of information and enhance the research process.
• Assists portfolio management with portfolio reporting and analytics, fund performance activities and generation of portfolio management reports.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor’s degree in finance, economics or related field.
• MBA in finance or related field and/or CFA preferred.
• Pursuit of CFA designation is highly encouraged if not currently held.
• Minimum of 4 years of investment experience or relevant experience performing fundamental credit research.
• General knowledge of capital markets and fixed income investments is preferred.
• Candidate must possess strong, written and verbal communication skills and must demonstrate a consistent ability to work with minimum supervision.
• Candidate must possess proficient knowledge of software used for investment research and analysis such as Microsoft Office, especially Excel, as well as other financial software such as Bloomberg.
• The ideal candidate will also be highly detail-oriented, well-organized, independent, entrepreneurial, assertive, self-motivated, and be able to prioritize in a fast paced environment.
Athene Asset Management , L.P.is based in El Segundo, California and manages $70bn of assets for related insurance companies and third party life insurance and property and casualty insurance companies. The Company is a subsidiary of Apollo Global Management LLC and benefits from the resources of a leading global alternative investment manager. For more information about the company, please visit www.athenelp.com.