This Denver-based position will provide portfolio managers and sector team members with relevant information and recommendations regarding investment attractiveness of equities in the industrials and materials sector. Analyst will conduct deep fundamental analysis of individual companies and industries, focusing on business factors such as: financial performance, competitive position, cyclical and secular trends, quality of company and management etc. The analyst will build detailed financial models and project future revenue, earnings, and cash flows, with a goal of projecting the long-term value of stocks in order to make actionable buy and sell recommendations.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct deep fundamental analysis. While the analyst will interview company management teams, research should include lots of independent contact within the industry such as competitors, customers, suppliers and other appropriate contacts.
- Forecasts growth, evaluates competitive position within an industry, determines quality of financial statement information, analyzes potential responses to worst case scenarios.
- Synthesizes fundamental research to form a differentiated view on companies.
- Constructs comprehensive valuation analyses
- Strong ability to communicate articulately, concisely and persuasively
- Strong modeling skills – uses financial models to generate all relevant questions that need to be answered in the research process and model future revenue, earnings and cash flows.
- Needs to be able to construct comprehensive valuation analyses.
- Drafts reports/notes on relevant investment themes and breaking news events.
May provide guidance and mentor more junior research staff.
Technical Skills and Qualifications
- Strong stockpicking skills, with a demonstrated track record of adding value
- Strong creativity, initiative and drive
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work and make decisions independently, and function effectively within a team.
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail
- Understanding of macroeconomic trends and their impact on markets, interest rates and stocks
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Understanding of corporate finance, accounting, and experience with MS Word, Excel and research on the internet.
- Ability to multi-task, organize, and assimilate large amounts of information quickly
- 3 years experience covering U.S. Industrials and/or Materials is required, preferably large-cap stocks. Buyside experience is preferred.
- Four-year degree in finance, economics, accounting, or related field required
- Post graduate degree such as MBA preferred.
- CFA and/or CPA preferred.
Working Environment/Physical Activities
- Must be willing to relocate to Denver, CO.
- Overtime may be required on short notice and may include evening, weekend, holiday hours
- Typical office environment with telephone, desktop computer, copier
- Substantive travel expected