Portfolio Analyst III
Brighthouse Financial is a new company established by MetLife. We’re on a mission to help people achieve financial security. Built on a foundation of industry knowledge and experience, we specialize in offering essential annuity and life insurance products designed to help customers protect what they’ve earned and ensure it lasts more predictably. In an industry that often has a reputation for complexity, confusion, and cost, Brighthouse Financial is different. Our approach includes simplicity, transparency, and more value so customers can face the future with confidence.
Brighthouse Financial is seeking passionate, high-performing team members to help us carry out our mission and be part of an exciting journey toward improving the financial futures of our millions of customers. Sound like you? Read on.
Role Value Proposition:
The Portfolio Strategist will work closely with both the Investment Research and Analysis Group and the Annuity Sales teams. The Portfolio Strategist is a key external/internal voice and advocate for the Brighthouse investment platform. The Portfolio Strategist will support distribution by providing investment and insurance product-focused economic/market analysis and narrative, education and training, and act as a platform generalist capable of providing myriad investment information and support for sales efforts in the field. This role will sit directly with the portfolio management and due diligence team to become a subject matter expert on all of portfolio level details, and will be located in Boston, MA. This position is envisioned as being a direct extension of the Investments team working with the sales force in the field to communicate all manner of support with regard to conversations, printed collateral and interpretation of concepts. The ideal candidate will draw from a wide-ranging skill set which intersects not only investment and capital markets knowledge, but also the worlds of marketing, data presentation and infographics. Skill in artistically telling a story with data, and general design sensibility is highly desired. Position does not require a formal design education, but interested candidates may be asked for a sample of past investments/economic narrative work or to create a new sample based on a provided scenario. Significant travel is required.
- Work closely with External Wholesaler field force to articulate capital market / economic themes and specific investment strategies that are relevant to the Variable Annuity investment platforms.
- Travel to advisor meetings with wholesalers, and provide support to wholesaler team via conference calls. Present at advisor events and sales meetings.
- Thoroughly understand and communicate the investment portfolios that are featured in the various annuity products including the portfolio philosophies, processes, objectives, positioning and performance.
- “Connect the dots” on how external themes drive groups of portfolios and create visuals from data to support the easy interpretation of these themes by the field.
- Be a knowledgeable source of information and insights about the broad markets and the positioning of our investment strategies.
- Works with various groups across the Brighthouse organization to ensure a consistent story. Provide constant feedback via knowledge gained while in the field to continually improve the investment story.
- Conduct education and training sessions for sales and distribution personnel.
- Opportunity to create internal and external white papers and other high-profile support pieces will be available.
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree minimum. Significant coursework in finance, statistics, numerical methods, econometrics, applied statistics or mathematically-related discipline a plus.
- 6+ years of investment management, investment consulting, or client service related experience.
- Series 6, 7 or the ability to obtain within 90 days.
- Demonstrable knowledge of various investment managers / fund complexes, products and styles across all asset classes.
- Mature self-starter and detail-oriented team player with excellent research, communication (written and verbal) and organizational skills.
- Must be able to work independently and in a team environment.
- Strong presentation and writing skills.
- Experience working directly with derivatives instruments.
- CFA/CAIA/FRM/CIMA or demonstrated progress to top institutional investment-level industry designation is a plus.
- MBA or Master’s Degree, especially with significant coursework in finance or mathematically-related discipline a plus.
- Proficiency with investment analytics such as Bloomberg, Morningstar, Zephyr, and Lipper, with strong preference for experience in using data automation/API tools, preferred.
- Skilled user of infographics software (e.g., Tableau, Venngage, etc.) is highly desired.
- Expert user of Microsoft Excel. Demonstrated ability to illustrate data visually using appropriate charts, graphs and tables. VBA experience a plus.
- Knowledge of insurance business dynamics, especially within variable annuities, is a plus.
- Ability to travel up to 50% of the time is required.