Equity Research Associate - Technology
Haywood Securities Inc. is a 100-percent employee-owned investment dealer with approximately 280 employees and offices in Vancouver, Calgary and Toronto. Since its inception in 1981, Haywood Securities has valued its independence and its entrepreneurial spirit. We look for these two important character traits to be mirrored in the ventures we back and the investors we serve. We foster long-term relationships with the companies we support through our continued financings in capital markets and our ongoing advisory services. Our goal is not only to ensure the success of the venture but also to build enduring value for investors.
Haywood Securities is currently seeking an Equity Research Associate. The ideal candidate must be able to demonstrate their financial modeling/analysis/valuation skills and have experience in a capital markets environment. Reporting to Haywood’s Senior Technology Analyst, the successful candidate will be located in either Vancouver or Toronto.
- Develop a knowledge of the various sectors covered by Haywood’s Technology mandate (including software, hardware, wireless, communications, cleantech sectors);
- Assist in the creation and maintenance of detailed financial models for both private and publicly listed companies;
- Maintain and develop sector-specific databases;
- Assist in providing in-depth company and sector analysis and commentary thereon;
- Prepare research reports for publication which focus on relevant news and events, and subsequent implications on buy/sell/hold recommendations and target prices;
- Liaise with sales and trading (both institutional and retail), external institutional clients, and corporate finance to help provide industry and investment insight;
- Provide other support to the analyst as required.
- Undergraduate degree (Finance, Accounting, or other Business degree preferred);
- CFA or CPA designation, or enrolment in the relevant program, would be considered an asset (minimum CFA Level-1);
- Previous experience in equity research would be helpful;
- Understanding of financial/equity analysis and how to create robust excel models;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Self-starter that can work independently;
- Commitment to timelines and attention to detail is crucial;
- Ability to work in a demanding, pressurized and fast-paced work environment, sometimes for extended periods of time;
- Excellent PC skills, namely in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, and PowerPoint), as well as sourcing internet-based data;
- Previous experience using ThomsonOne, Bloomberg, Capital-IQ is desirable.
If your background and experience is well suited to this role please submit your resume and cover letter.
We would like to thank all candidates for their interest in this position, however; only qualified candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.