CarVal Investors is currently seeking a Risk Associate positioned within the Risk Management function.
The purpose of this position is to perform analysis and maintain analytical and reporting systems within the Risk Management function for CarVal Investors. This position will require interaction with risk management, investment professionals, operations, IT and third party service providers.
This position will report to the Chief Risk Officer.
- Ensure that portfolio securities and other investments are accurately captured and modeled within risk and portfolio management systems, including their risk profile and return expectations.
- Understand and be able to effectively utilize risk assessment tools and risk measurement methodologies, including their underlying assumptions and potential weaknesses. Challenge assumptions used in the methodologies based on understanding of the portfolio.
- Maintain reporting systems and generate output for management, investor and regulatory reporting. Work with Risk Management and other groups to enhance effectiveness and efficiency of the systems to allow for reduced report preparation time, more time for value-added activities and analysis, and improved data integrity.
- Develop an understanding of trading strategies, underwriting assumptions, business risks and how the portfolio behaves under stress. Provide analysis and reporting to highlight issues/trends.
- Bachelor’s degree in finance or related discipline.
- 3+ years of experience in investment, fund, or related industry.
- Demonstrate strong analytical and critical thinking skills. Have the ability to investigate problems, find solutions, and determine best approach to proactively resolve issues.
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to ask relevant, informed and intelligent questions about transactions, financial instruments, relationships and risks.
- Strong Excel skills including proficiency with pivot tables, charts and data analysis tools.
- Demonstrated attention to detail.
- Ability to take initiative, work autonomously and handle multiple demands.
- Experience working with a Risk function including understanding risk fundamentals.
- Familiarity with modeling and analysis of financial instruments.