Credit Analyst - NBFI - Director - London
The Fitch Ratings Financial Institutions Group has actively built the agency into the global leader in bank credit rating coverage with strong market positions in banks and increasingly non-bank financial institutions (NBFI). Our experienced analysts provide comprehensive, timely and transparent coverage of major institutions around the world, as well as unparalleled coverage of smaller companies. Our analysts offer a diversity of talent and backgrounds, with experience in regulatory oversight, counterparty analysis, auditing, investment banking, buy-side investing and more.
The NBFI team forms part of the Financial Institutions group and covers a range of NBFI segments, including investment managers, securities firms, finance and leasing companies along with exchanges and clearing houses in the EMEA region. The NBFI rating process includes a detailed assessment of a company's stand-alone credit profile as well as of the likelihood and nature of external support should the entity experience financial difficulties. Quantitative aspects of an entity's credit profile are reviewed, such as balance sheet integrity, profitability and cash flow generating capacity. The analysts also evaluate qualitative factors of the institution, such as strategy and quality of management, the environment in which it operates, and the most likely future development of its business. Final rating determinations are made by committees comprised of analysts and seasoned independent committee members, including Fitch Ratings senior management.
We are currently looking for an Associate Director or Director to join our NBFI team in London. Coverage will initially be EMEA NBFI credits with a focus on finance companies and other NBFI sectors. The successful candidate will have a strong background in financial institutions and/or corporate credit analysis.
Primary duties will include:
- Monitoring a portfolio of issuer ratings, including performing analysis of quantitative and qualitative factors and the preparation of rating committee documentation.
- Participation in credit rating committees for NBFIs in the EMEA and other regions.
- Writing and publishing of comprehensive rating reports on individual issuers.
- Regular interaction with contacts at issuers and liaison with issuers' senior management at onsite rating meetings.
- Publication of sector-specific research and insightful commentary.
- Responding to external queries from investors, bankers and other fixed income market participants and the media.
Qualifications and Experience:
Suitable candidates should have the following qualifications and experience:
- At least four years of analytical experience, ideally in a credit- or audit-related field.
- Background in either financial institutions or corporate credit analysis. Experience in analysing one or several of Fitch's NBFI sectors (finance companies, investment managers, securities firms, financial market infrastructure companies) and/or experience in leveraged finance credit analysis is desirable.
- Good educational background to at least a first university degree level, preferably with professional qualifications (such as CFA, ACA, ACCA).
- Proficiency in English is a must and fluency in other major European languages is desirable but not necessary.
- Ability to work independently as well as being a good team player.
- Ability to cope with time pressure and work to deadlines is essential.
We are looking for a self-motivated professional who works well in a team environment and can actively contribute to credit-related discussions. Strong writing and communication skills are essential, as well as a strong command of financial statement analysis, experience with spreadsheet creation and analysis, and the ability to handle numerous projects simultaneously. This position is available in Fitch's London office and will involve occasional travel.