Managing Director, CFA Societies Canada
Managing Director of CFA Societies Canada (a not-for-profit association located in Toronto, Ontario) is responsible for leading teams of volunteers and a small staff to serve the 12 Canadian CFA Societies and their members. The MD will provide strategic leadership and operational oversight for the organization, manage volunteer committees, and represent CFA Charterholders in Canada at a National level in communications with policy makers, media, and industry groups. The MD will support policy formation and advocacy to Canadian policy makers regarding financial industry regulation, development of relevant research & thought leadership, promotion of professional standards, and outreach to government and industry related to building financial market integrity in Canada at a National level in collaboration with local Societies. The MD will support national projects related to the investment management business and of interest to CFA Charterholders across Canada. The MD reports directly to Board of Directors for CFA Societies Canada and collaborates with the staff at CFA Institute and local Societies.
Executive & Operations
- Provide strategic leadership and operational oversight for CFA Societies Canada including direct supervision of other staff and volunteers.
- Accountable for the development and implementation of strategy, annual budget of $600,000-700,000, for Board approval.
- Coordinate volunteer activities for standing committees and ad hoc work groups including the Canadian Advocacy Council (CAC) and Canadian Investment Performance Council (CIPC).
- Organize meetings of and agendas for the Board of Directors and subcommittees.
- Report annually on key performance indicators to the Board of Directors.
- Travel within Canada to provincial policy makers, society meetings, and industry events with occasional international travel in collaboration with local Societies, CAC and CFA Institute.
- Serve as the spokesperson and policy advocate for CFA Societies Canada at meetings and events with Canadian policy makers, industry groups, media, employers, and member societies.
- Direct the capital markets policy, financial reporting policy, investment performance policy, and regulatory strategy of CFA Societies Canada, leading the volunteer committees and liaising with the CFA Institute staff as appropriate.
- Promote the adoption of CFA Institute codes and standards in Canada, the value of the CFA charter, the CIPM designation, and the professionalism of CFA Charterholders and CIPM designees in Canada.
- Monitor and analyze policy developments including Canadian legislative, regulatory, and administrative issues.
- Support the identification and preparation of policy positions on current initiatives in coordination with the volunteer committees and consultants, including: conducting and managing research projects, oversight of consultation responses and comment letters, and oversight of writing articles on current policy initiatives.
- Develop thought leadership ideas including conception, planning, realization, and control of related research projects. In collaboration with CAC and CIPC communicate policy positions and projects to relevant internal and external stakeholders, including society leaders, policy makers, industry, and the media through interviews, articles, blog posts, newsletters, social media, and in-person presentations.
- Maintain and extend CFA Societies Canada external network of policy contacts, including associations and stakeholders from the Canadian financial, regulatory, political and public sphere in consultation with local Societies.
- Minimum 10 years of professional experience in the investment management industry either as a practitioner, a financial policy specialist, or financial journalist.
- Minimum 5 years of leadership experience, managing an organization or significant segment thereof – including strategic planning, budgeting, and implementation of work plans.
- University degree, ideally in business administration, economics, finance, politics, or law.
- Excellent understanding of the Canadian financial industry and regulatory structures, as well as Canadian politics and the political system.
- Experience with regulatory and legislative institutions in Canada is strongly preferred.
- CFA Charter is required.
- CIPM designation would be an asset.
- Previous experience with a local CFA Society as volunteer or Board Member would be an asset.
- Small Business experience would be an asset.
- Ability to develop and deliver effective presentations to senior industry leaders and stakeholders.
- Entrepreneurial, hands on attitude - Must demonstrate good judgment and mature business skills.
- Strong verbal & written communication skills combined with strong project management experience.
- Bi-lingual - Excellent English and French language skills, both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrate outstanding stewardship and relationship building/management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including a professional and diplomatic demeanor.
- This position is based in Toronto and will require travel up to 10% of the time.
More searches like this
- Management Consulting Non-Banking Financial Institution (Consumer finance, Leasing, factoring, etc.) CFA Charterholder Full Time jobs in Bachelors
- Marketing and Public Relations Non-Banking Financial Institution (Consumer finance, Leasing, factoring, etc.) CFA Charterholder Full Time jobs in Bachelors
- Operations Non-Banking Financial Institution (Consumer finance, Leasing, factoring, etc.) CFA Charterholder Full Time jobs in Bachelors
- Relationship Management Non-Banking Financial Institution (Consumer finance, Leasing, factoring, etc.) CFA Charterholder Full Time jobs in Bachelors
- Other Non-Banking Financial Institution (Consumer finance, Leasing, factoring, etc.) CFA Charterholder Full Time jobs in Bachelors