Boutique Multi-Family Office dedicated to serving successful entrepreneurial families is seeking a Portfolio Manager (“PM”). The PM will be responsible for the continued implementation and management of model investment strategies to support the growth of the organization. The ideal candidate will be a seasoned investment professional with a strong focus on asset allocation and investment analysis. In addition, the candidate must possess strong communication skills, which will be utilized during individual client meetings, larger group presentations, and via written correspondence. The PM will be making the transition into a leadership role with an established RIA possessing a unique value proposition in the crowded wealth management space. The PM’s compensation will be a salary plus bonus structure aligned with all of the services of this thriving firm.
This opportunity is located in Houston, Texas and no relocation is being provided.
Our firm leads with advanced financial/estate planning for which we charge a fee. In addition, we maintain client plans much like a family office. We target a very specific client, closely-held business owners with a net worth over $20MM, and are engaged by approximately twelve families a year. The range of services we provide are all advice driven and include asset protection, business succession and tax planning. Our investment management service, though integral to our firm, is not a primary focus, but rather a complementary offering.
A typical client for our firm has a net-worth of $40MM, yet most of their wealth is tied up in illiquid holdings such as real estate, concentrated stock holdings, oil and gas interests, operating businesses and private equity. In many cases, they have little in liquid / financial assets, therefore, the discussion of asset management is a secondary priority for them. Our emphasis on providing comprehensive and holistic advice for both their personal and business lives is what eventually leads to investment management opportunities should a liquidity event occur in the future.
For the families that have accumulated meaningful liquidity, we employ a “global balance sheet approach”. We strive to counterbalance the inherent risk of their existing illiquid “risk assets” with investments that are liquid, transparent, tax efficient that and low cost. Our philosophy remains consistent that their best potential long-term risk / reward, lies in their illiquid holdings. As opposed to competing with those returns, we opt to complement that risk and help them diversify. Specifically, we manage model portfolios that consist primarily of Dimensional Funds and Vanguard Funds. In addition, we offer a customized equity strategy designed for clients who need to work out existing positions as tax efficiently as possible.
- Chair Investment Committee
- Contribute to prospect and client investment presentations
- Develop, manage and implement the overall investment process for the firm
- Analyze industry trends and prepare executive summaries for consideration by Investment Committee
- Monitor, trade and rebalance model portfolios
- Performance reporting and client billing through Orion
- Conduct due diligence on investment strategies to be utilized within model portfolios (i.e., cash alternatives, currency, managed futures, etc.)
- Research various investment vehicles to determine opportunity (i.e., mutual funds, ETF’s, individual securities, managed futures, separate account, etc.)
- Utilize proprietary and third-party tools to conduct portfolio analysis on existing client models
- Communicate investment thesis and prepare a variety of written communication pieces including commentary regarding portfolio changes within model allocations and white papers on investment topics
- Analyze prospective client portfolios vs. proposed model portfolios to determine proper implementation and allocation
- Design exit strategies of existing / transferred positions and strategies to deploy new funds into model portfolios
- 10 years of related experience in a “client facing” portfolio management role
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Enjoy collaborating with a dedicated team of professionals
- Capability to pass criminal and financial background check
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to gather and interpret a wide variety of data
- Excellent command of Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of constituencies, including clients, prospects, staff and vendors
- Demonstrated ability and initiative to contribute to the growth of the firm
- “Clean” FINRA Form U4
Education, Licenses & Designations
- Undergraduate degree in finance, accounting or business required
- Advanced investment designations required i.e., CFA, CIMA, CAIA, etc.
- Graduate level degree preferred i.e., PhD, MBA, JD, LLM, MST
- Financial designations preferred i.e., CPA, CFP, ChFC, CLU, CPWA, etc.
- FINRA Series 65 / 66 or ability to pass FINRA Series 65 required within 90 days required