The Finance Department's (FIN) main function is to administer the Bank's financial resources including debt and non-debt funds, managing the Bank's cash resources, conducting accounting and preparing financial records of Bank operations. Among other functions, FIN also administers Bank relations with financial markets and intermediaries, formulates and reviews the implementation of the Bank's asset/liability management.
The Finance Department is looking for a dedicated, energetic and team oriented Treasury & Risk-Derivatives Senior Specialist/Specialist to work in the Treasury Client Solutions Group of the Treasury Division.
The incumbent will be part of a high-performing team in the Finance Department. The main characteristics are as follows:
- Analyze, price, negotiate and execute the following financial instruments:
- Interest rate/currency swaps and options.
- FX and Commodity options.
- Recommend swap and option transactions that suit the IDB's guidelines/policies.
- Coordinate, collaborate and liaise with various internal interdisciplinary areas, including groups in Treasury, Legal, Risk Management, Accounting, and Sovereign/Private Sector Lending units in the conceptualization technical solutions/institutional policies.
- Recommend valuation methodologies for various currencies, as well as illiquid and structured financial instruments.
- Develop and maintain relationships with banks and swap counterparties.
- Participate in the technical and operational implementation of the IDB's Treasury Management System and other related systems projects. Conduct and/or coordinate research and analysis by developing ideas/concepts in support of Unit/Operational projects/programs/studies.
- Provide mentorship and technical work guidance to more junior staff within the Treasury Division
- Participate in origination of tailored-made debt management solutions to effectively manage market exposures (i.e., currency and interest rate risks) by working closely with borrowers and Bank project teams.
- Analyze, review and provide comments on financial terms and conditions of project documents to ensure compliance with Bank financial product policies.
- Collaborate in the development of technical documents/guidelines on financial products/applicable financial terms to lending instruments to be presented to stakeholder committees.
- Maintain relationships with sovereign and sovereign-guaranteed borrowers, including debt management offices of borrowing member countries.
- Participate in intra- and inter- departmental working groups, Bank missions, and other initiatives aiming to structure and deliver financing and debt management solutions to Bank borrowers.
- Collaborate in development and implementation of knowledge sharing activities with borrowers and Bank staff on IDB's financial product offering and trading of derivatives.
- Participate to financial product and debt management solutions dissemination efforts via development of marketing materials and/or updates to FIN's finance portal.
Education: Master's degree (or the equivalent) in Finance, Business Administration, Economics or related field, or CFA
Experience: Minimum of five (5) years of relevant experience with at least three (3) years multi-currency Swaps and Cross Currency Swaps, Banking, Capital Markets and Derivatives treasury operations experience. Experience working with emerging markets sovereigns and private sector clients is desirable and with capital markets software preferred.
Language: Fluency in English and Spanish is required and proficiency in any other official Bank language French and/or Portuguese is preferred.
Functional and technical expertise: Advanced understanding of cause and effect of market conditions and how they relate to the IDB's assets, liabilities and derivatives. Strong knowledge of derivative markets. Strong knowledge of the swap market and ability to price and hedge non-plain vanilla swaps and Latin-American cross currency swaps. Makes sound recommendations based on thorough understanding of financial market dynamics. Monitors the market and looks for opportunities to effectively improve the IDB's financial position and/or minimize risk. Conducts independent analysis of data and information to validate the appropriateness of models being applied and to confirm the reasonableness of data generated. Strong written and verbal communication skills. Strong technical and quantitative skills. Systems: Proficiency with Bloomberg, treasury management systems such as Summit and the Microsoft Office suite is highly desirable. Incumbent will be responsible for developing and maintaining models using both Access databases and Excel spreadsheets.
Quantitative Analysis. Uses analytical tools and mathematical processes to empirically analyze and evaluate data and information.
Qualitative Analysis. Investigates beyond numbers through research and intuition to determine the reasonableness of information used for decision-making.
Financial Market Knowledge. Understands financial market dynamics, products and economics and their implications for financial and risk management.
Financial Operations. Researches, analyzes, inputs and reports information on the origination, execution and monitoring of financial operations.
Systems and Applications Knowledge. Leverages systems and applications knowledge to enter data, process transactions, conduct relevant analyses, and generate reports.
Risk Awareness. Understands, analyzes, acts on and communicates risks by applying appropriate controls and risk mitigation procedures.
Business Acumen. Demonstrates an understanding of own functional area, the business of the Department and the IDB's needs and priorities. Understands and applies knowledge of IDB strategies, business priorities and policies to accomplish goals and execute on business area work program.
Collaboration, Teamwork & Inclusion. Works cooperatively with others independent of background (e.g. gender, ethnic origin, religion, disability, sexual orientation, background, perspective) or organizational role, and takes a team-based and inclusive approach to projects and decision making.
Innovation & Creativity. Develops imaginative ideas and solutions through creativity, experimentation and critical thinking.
Communication & Influence. Communicates effectively and leverages relationships and strategies to influence others.
Client Focus. Understands client needs and provides services that meet their expectations for quality and performance; meets the Bank's expectations for ethical behavior.
The IDB offers a competitive benefits and compensation package.
The IDB is committed to diversity and inclusion and to providing equal opportunities in employment. We embrace diversity on the basis of gender, age, education, national origin, ethnic origin, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion, and HIV/AIDs status. We encourage women, Afro-descendants and persons of indigenous origins to apply.