Associate, Institutional Equity Research- Oil & Gas
CIBC is a leading Canadian-based global financial institution. Through our three major businesses - Retail and Business Banking, Wealth Management and Capital Markets - we provide a full range of financial products and services to 11 million individual, small business, commercial, corporate and institutional clients in Canada and around the world. We invest in our businesses, our clients, our people and our communities to deliver consistent and sustainable earnings to our shareholders. To learn more about CIBC's Lines of Business, please visit our website.
CIBC delivers access to career and development opportunities, safe and healthy workplaces, effective training, and positive work-life balance - so that employees are able to perform at their best, contribute to their communities and focus on cultivating deeper relationships with our clients.
Every year, CIBC is recognized for its business successes, community commitment and employee initiatives. We are proud of these successes and are committed to creating an inclusive workplace and an environment where all employees can excel.
The goal of CIBC's Capital Markets business is to be the premier client-focused Capital Markets based in Canada. To deliver on this, the Capital Markets arm of CIBC provides a wide range of credit, capital markets, investment banking, merchant banking and research products and services to government, institutional, corporate and retail clients in Canada and in key markets around the world.
To learn more about CIBC and the CIBC Group of Companies please visit CIBC.com.
The Equities team at CIBC Capital Markets understands what institutional investors value most: original ideas, top service and performance. Whether it's Bay Street or Wall Street, CIBC World Markets Inc. is there with the depth and breadth of product to advise on and execute the decisions of the investment community - anywhere in North America.
What You'll Be Doing
As a Research Associate the incumbent will work closely with the Research Analyst covering the Canadian Junior/Intermediate Oil and Gas sector which involves industry and company analysis. The Associate will learn and develop a depth of knowledge for financial analysis and about the capital markets. In the role, you will gain valuable experience in writing reports, developing and maintaining financial models in order to forecast company cash flow and earnings, and analyzing industry trends. In participation with the Research Analyst will participate in a quarterly conference calls with investors and analysts from competing firms to get direct data and interaction with the companies and industries senior management team. The position also provides the opportunity to liaise with our Sales, Trading, Investment Banking colleagues and clients as required.
What We're Looking For
We are seeking highly motivated, results-driven, and accomplished candidates who should demonstrate the following:
- Please include a writing sample (reporting on any stock) along with your cover letter and resume
- Education: preference is given to candidates who possess a P. Eng., P. Geol. or a technical-related discipline, along with relevant work experience; and/or an MBA or CA, a business-related discipline. Candidates who possess a CFA designation would be an asset.
- Experience in any of the following industries is preferred: Energy - Oil & Gas
- Experience conducting financial analysis of companies in other industries and general knowledge of the capital market industry, and economics
- Strong background in accounting and finance is a preference
- High proficiency knowledge of PC applications - specifically Excel
- Working knowledge of financial software (i.e. Bloomberg, FactSet) is an asset
- Ability to explain detailed financial and statistical analysis
- Excellent analytical and quantitative skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills to deal effectively with internal and external clients
- Strong multi-tasking and time management skills
- Ability to work independently in a deadline oriented environment
- Demonstrated interest in the capital markets industry through school courses, clubs and/or related work experience
What CIBC Can Offer You
- Flexible health benefits, stock purchase plan, competitive incentive pay and recognition programs
- Competitive salary and banking benefits
- Career growth, development and continuous learning opportunities
- Opportunity to be involved in CIBC events that help our communities
- Click to learn more about Rewards & Recognition, Learning & Development, and Employee Community Involvement
What You Need To Know
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada at the location(s) specified above and, where applicable, must have a valid work permit or study permit that allows the candidate to fulfill the requirements of the role
- Often required to work beyond normal business hours.
- Required to make frequent decisions in a fast paced work environment
Please apply via the CIBC career portal by visiting this link and creating a profile.