Manager, Private Markets
Manager, Private MarketsThe UAW Retiree Medical Benefits Trust (the “Trust”) is seeking a Manager to join the investment team in the Ann Arbor, MI office. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated an interest in investing, a knowledge of credit markets that would help inform the Trust’s investment approach to direct lending, and be motivated by the Trust’s mission.
The Trust provides health care benefits for retired UAW members of General Motors, Ford and Chrysler, along with their eligible dependents. The Trust currently oversees roughly $55 billion of assets invested across traditional and alternative assets classes. The Trust is actively building out a portfolio of private market investments including private equity, private credit, real estate, infrastructure, natural resources, and other return enhancing and diversifying strategies. The Investment Manager will be an integral part of this buildout. The collaborative culture of the Trust offers the opportunity to gain broad exposure to not only private credit, but all investments in the Trust’s portfolio.
The Manager will be a critical contributor to the Private Markets team which manages a portfolio of private investments including: private equity, private credit, real estate, natural resources, energy, and infrastructure. The position requires the candidate to serve as the point person for private credit investments and be interested in working across other private markets strategies. A thorough understanding of credit strategies coupled with the ability to work collaboratively with other investment professionals across asset classes is essential.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Contributing to collaborative team-based decisions regarding the merits of investments across asset classes.
- Leading due diligence on prospective managers from beginning to end.
- Developing and researching investment themes that will increase the risk adjusted return of the Trust’s portfolio.
- Building a strong investment network for use in sourcing and evaluating investment ideas.
- Independently identifying and sourcing potential private markets investment ideas to be thoroughly vetted by the investments team.
- Writing clear and concise investment recommendations.
- Analyzing private markets performance to ensure strategies are consistent with the Trust’s long-term objectives.
- Leveraging analytical tools to assess portfolio and manager data to track firms, funds, and people.
- Represent the Trust with professional poise at regular meetings with managers and other investors.
- Helping improve monitoring processes for investment exposure (such as industry, sector geography, style, and other investable factors) in a way that enhances the team’s ability to understand and manage these exposures.
- Helping with preparation for Investment Committee meetings and other reporting functions of the Investment Office.
- Helping recruit, develop, and mentor investment analysts.
- A Bachelor’s degree relevant to the role. An MBA, CFA and/or CAIA designation is strongly preferred.
- A minimum of five years of investment experience in a relevant capacity.
- Prior experience in credit analysis and/or direct lending.
- Experience in investment manager selection and diligence processes is desired but not required.
- Experience investing across a wide range of asset classes, preferably private investments.
- Ability to construct a compelling case for or against an investment idea, present it before an engaged and experienced Investment Committee, and confidently address any issues raised.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and solve complex problems.
- Ability to know when to act independently on decisions and when to share and seek feedback.
- Strong interpersonal skills; demonstrated commitment to teamwork; and demonstrated ability to work with others up and down the organizational structure.
- Strong ethics and attention to details.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks with minimal guidance.
- Be a self-starter, have a passion for investing, and be dedicated to the intellectual honest required for good decision-making.
- Be willing to travel approximately 20% of the time.