Investment Strategy & Portfolio Design Associate
The successful individual will work as part of the Portfolio Design team, you will support the maintenance of appropriate long-term investment return assumptions, delivering advice on strategic asset allocation and developing, and where appropriate supporting the implementation of, the Scheme's approach to managing long term risks which may materially impact investment returns. However, this role is not an active tactical asset allocation trading role; it's focused on carrying out research and providing advice to the Investment team.
Role & Responsibilities
- Updating the Scheme's long-term investment return assumptions on a quarterly basis and documenting and communicating these to colleagues in the Investment function. This will include maintaining a quarterly survey of the return assumptions from a range of external investors.
- Maintain the parameters within which the Scheme's investment strategy is to be implemented, and monitor their appropriateness to deliver the required investment outcomes for the Scheme, escalating recommended changes.
- Support the assessment of long term risk and in the implementation of the Scheme's Responsible Investment (RI) strategy, helping develop our understanding of RI related risks and opportunities, and contributing to RI reporting requirements.
Skills & Experience
To apply for the role you must have strong numerical and analytical skills and be an effective communicator, both written and orally. The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate clarity and independence of thought and research. Accuracy and attention to detail are also important, together with effective organisation and planning skills. You must be able to operate effectively as part of a small team, but exercise initiative and work well with little supervision.
- At least five years of relevant experience, including a minimum of two years working in a similar analytically focussed role, together with familiarity with the management of a Defined Benefit pension scheme.
- Strong analytical skills, with the ability to form objective opinions based on both qualitative and quantitative information. A detailed understanding of financial markets and the different methods commonly used for developing investment return assumptions is required.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, and the ability to work proactively in a small team are also critical.
- Top rated academic qualifications, educated to degree level and preferably with an advanced degree or professional qualification, such as the CFA.
- Highly proficient with systems/software such as Bloomberg, Reuters and Excel.
- Experience within the field of responsible investment would be beneficial, but not essential.
This is a chance to work alongside a proven and experienced investment team and for your ideas and research to have an impact on the complex management of a high profile pension fund.
Please note that due to the high volume of applicants, only successful candidates will be contacted