Investment Strategy & Portfolio Design Associate
The successful individual will work as part of the Portfolio Design team, assessing how a changing economic and market environment may impact the scheme's investment outcomes and its medium and long-term asset allocation. As part of this, you will play a key role in establishing long-term assumptions for risk and return and will perform concise, but thorough, medium-term economic and market research on various topics and asset classes. You will also be responsible for maintaining and developing relationships with the wider investment community in order to introduce external input and challenge into the investment process and will support the Scheme's approach to managing long term risks which may materially impact investment returns
Therefore, this role is not an active tactical asset allocation trading role; it's focused on carrying out research and providing advice to the Investment team.
Role & Responsibilities
- Updating the Scheme's long-term investment return assumptions on a quarterly basis and documenting and communicating these to colleagues in the Investment function. This will include maintaining a quarterly survey of the return assumptions from a range of external investors.
- Maintain the parameters within which the Scheme's investment strategy is to be implemented, and monitor their appropriateness to deliver the required investment outcomes for the Scheme, escalating recommended changes.
- Support the assessment of long term risk and in the implementation of the Scheme's Responsible Investment (RI) strategy, helping develop our understanding of RI related risks and opportunities, and contributing to RI reporting requirements.
Skills & Experience
To apply for the role you must have demonstrable experience in linking the macroeconomic environment to market trends using a blend of qualitative and quantitative techniques to deliver decision useful insights and investment analysis. You will be an effective communicator, both written and orally, and able to demonstrate clarity and independence of thought and research. The successful candidate will be able to operate effectively as part of a small team, but also able to exercise initiative and work effectively with little supervision. Needless to say, the highest standard of honesty and integrity are essential.
- At least five years of relevant experience in an economic / market and / or investment strategy role. Familiarity with the management of a Defined Benefit pension scheme would also be beneficial.
- Strong analytical skills, with the ability to form objective opinions based on both qualitative and quantitative information. A detailed understanding of financial markets and the different methods commonly used for developing investment return assumptions is required.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, and the ability to work proactively in a small team are also critical.
- Top rated academic qualifications, educated to degree level and preferably with an advanced degree or professional qualification, such as the CFA.
- Highly proficient with systems/software such as Bloomberg, Reuters and Excel.
- Experience within the field of responsible investment would be beneficial, but not essential.
This role may suit an Investment Strategist from the investment consulting arena or a Macro Strategist from the Sell-side who are looking to make a move to the Buy-side. This is a chance to work alongside a proven and experienced investment team and for your ideas and research to have an impact on the complex management of a high profile pension fund.
Please note that due to the high volume of applicants, only successful candidates will be contacted