Operational Risk Manager
Operational Risk Manager
Luxembourg Risk Management Department constitutes two distinct teams:
• Investment Risk
• Operational Risk
The Operational Risk team provides operational risk oversight across the Schroders Investment Management (Luxembourg) S.A. (“SIM Lux”), its branches (Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Brussels, and Stockholm), as well as supporting other Group EMEA offices. SIM Lux Operational Risk is responsible for the oversight and challenge of the risk and control assessment process, analysis of risk issues and errors, reviewing the implications of material change within the business and challenging risks in excess of appetite.
The team provides risk management information to a number of key local and Group-level committees and works closely with risk coordinators and management across Schroders' business areas.
In detail, the Operational risk team;
• Provides the framework, systems and tools for operational risk management across SIM Lux and other EMEA offices;
• Inputs into developments for the Group's operational risk database, Archer, as well as its ongoing maintenance;
• Develops and oversees Group operational risk policies and their implementation in EMEA;
• Facilitates workshops to prepare or review Risk and Control Assessments (“RCAs”), owned by the business areas, and provides challenge on their completeness and accuracy;
• Supports the business in preparing risk assessments on change initiatives in the business, and reviews new products and clients, as required;
• Investigates significant risk events to identify lessons learned;
• Provides training advice and guidance on operational risk management;
• Escalates material concerns to the SIM Lux Chief Executive, Group Head of Risk and Chief Financial Officer;
• Provides operational risk management information at the Board and Group level
• Liaises with the Group Enterprise Risk team, where required, to develop EMEA operational risk scenarios for the ICAAP.
• Provides support to EMEA entity Internal Controls report (ISAE3402) processes.
Overview of key duties:
The role holder will be responsible for assisting the Head of Risk EMEA and the Operational Risk team in:
• Embedding the culture of risk management throughout the organisation by actively cultivating and maintaining key relationships with senior staff and teams, proactively providing advice and support on risk management issues and demonstrating to management the benefits to be derived from such a culture.
• Ensuring that the operational risk function keeps abreast of all key developments that may affect risk within the Group (e.g. new products, changes in business practices and processes, acquisitions) and of relevant external events. Providing guidance and assistance to the business on assessing change activities.
• Providing operational risk leadership and input into relevant key business projects and initiatives, via proactive engagement with steering committees, working groups and other fora, to ensure that operational risk issues are properly considered in all material decisions and reported appropriately.
• Facilitating and providing second line challenge for the creation of new or updated risk and controls assessments. Assisting business management in performing change risk assessments.
• Analysing the results of the risk and control assessments to provide meaningful insight to business management on themes and trends, and identifying the need for deep dive reviews.
• Escalating significant risk events to senior management as required, and reviewing and assessing risk events to ensure quality of content and actions taken to resolve and prevent reoccurrence.
• Providing high quality operational risk and key risk indicator data and analysis to senior management, risk and other governance committees and legal entity Boards.
Essential Skills & Behaviours:
• Effective team player and networker to build relationships in the Risk team and across the business
• Professional credibility gained through relevant operational or enterprise risk experience
• Ability to present risk management issues firmly to senior management and deliver appropriate challenge when necessary
• Attention to detail
• Ability to see the bigger picture and assess issues in the context of the overall risk profile
• Ability to manage own workload, and deal with competing priorities
• Excellent written and oral communication, reporting and presentation skills
• Dealing well with pressurised situations, focusing on the task in hand and objective solutions
• Significant experience (at least 5-7 years) in the assessment and management of operational risks within financial services, across both traditional and private asset classes (for the latter, including real estate, private equity, infrastructure debt, loans).
• Proven practical experience in a similar role
• Previous use of operational risk management software
Graduate level education with further qualifications gained such as:
• Investment Management Certificate
• ACA/ ACCA