Liquid Diversifying Research Analyst
Willis Towers Watson is a leading global advisory, broking and solutions company that helps clients around the world turn risk into a path for growth. With roots dating to 1828, Willis Towers Watson has 39,000 employees in more than 120 territories. We design and deliver solutions that manage risk, optimize benefits, cultivate talent, and expand the power of capital to protect and strengthen institutions and individuals. Our unique perspective allows us to see the critical intersections between talent, assets and ideas - the dynamic formula that drives business performance. Unlock your potential at Willis Towers Watson.
Investment, Risk and Reinsurance
Our sophisticated approach to risk helps clients free up capital. We work in close concert with investors, reinsurers, and insurers to manage the equation between risk and return. Blending advanced analytics with deep institutional knowledge, we reveal new opportunities to maximize performance.
The Global Manager Research Team assists in driving our clients' decision making in the selection, monitoring and de-selection of investment managers and is a critical element of our Investment Line of Business. We have one of the largest global manager research teams in the industry with c.100 researchers located across the major investment regions of the world and following one global, integrated research process. Our analysis is built on a foundation of in-depth research starting with a thorough understanding of the investment philosophy and process applied by the asset manager. Our objective in researching managers is to identify teams capable of executing a sustainable and effective process which exploits a competitive advantage for the benefit of our mutual clients.
The primary focus of the role entails researching and supporting efforts across hedge funds, alternative beta, reinsurance and multi-asset. Research includes interviewing some of the most highly respected alternative investment managers in the world, helping to form robust opinions on such areas as investment skill and the ability to meet our clients' objectives. Thought-leadership and innovation are at the heart of the research agenda to develop the most optimal solutions for our global client-base, thus creativity, curiosity, a strong knowledge of financial markets and desire to improve outcomes for clients will be necessary. The team work closely with portfolio management teams to develop best-in-class specialist and multi-asset solutions.
- Help support senior consultants and portfolio managers to deliver high quality manager research consulting advice to internal/external clients
- Develop trusted advisor relationship through effective communication and efficient, quality execution of projects
- Explore and understand the key issues that our clients are facing
- Build effective working relationships with clients, colleagues at all levels and partner with other internal businesses to service clients' complex needs
- Demonstrate ability to work cohesively with a diverse team and manage project teams
- Support the generation of new business as part of the broader team including new product ideas, or strategy changes
- Meeting fund managers to evaluate investment teams, their business, investment processes and risk management. Understand expected returns and risk drivers
- Chair introductory manager meetings and monthly calls effectively, developing rapport and strong open-ended questioning
- Extracting and interpreting both quantitative and qualitative data to help drive decision making
- Produce detailed due diligence documents and communication of research views for client consumption
- Ensure that our research is always of a high standard of quality
- Liaise with quantitative data team to complete research and client requests. Identify new efficiencies that can be automated within the team
- Develop ideas on new and innovative strategies or mandates not often captured via off-the-shelf options in the marketplace.
- Contribute to industry white-papers
- Ensure that actions and decisions are in keeping with the wider Investment team and are in line with our WTW mission
- Assist in development and presentation of research findings to the global investment practice
- Some alternative fund research experience preferred (fund of hedge funds, consulting or portfolio management)
- Quantitative skillset to analyse a set of data (performance, risk factors, etc.) preferred, or willingness to learn.
- Ability to analyse qualitative data to form an initial opinion on a manager or strategy
- Experience in programming language (eg. R, Python etc) and modelling of data an advantage
- Flexibility and proven ability to diagnose and resolve issues; strong client service orientation
- Interest and ability to think beyond the task at hand and understand how one's work fits into the broader landscape
- Knowledge of the markets and/or alternative investments
- Graduate, not necessarily in a mathematical or business discipline, but evidence of mathematical ability is required. Progress in CFA or other professional qualification an advantage.
Willis Towers Watson is an equal opportunities employer and does not discriminate on any basis. We support flexible working and this role will be considered on a flexible basis.