Division Head , Banking Equities (ICD)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Strategy implementation and operational management
- Participate in the development of the Banking Institutions strategy in developing a strategy for the FIDD budget and business planning processes
- Create and implement actionable Banking Institutions short to medium term operational plans and budgets with operational KPIs linked to the Department strategy
- Co-ordinate the Banking Institutions activities so that it effectively utilises its resources, manages its priorities, and is able to be both responsive and proactive
- Manage, monitor and evaluate the Banking Institutions function's on-going performance and quality of its outputs and services, identifying and initiating actions for improvement and innovation
- Build and develop productive inter-Divisional working relationships within ICD and with external partners for joint working and knowledge sharing
- Formulate divisional budgets in conjunction with departmental & organizational budget, tracking expenses and ensuring adherence
- Review the NPAs and setting a strategy to recover and minimize ICD loses
- Ensure the FI equity funds are appropriately allocated to FIs thereby meeting the overall portfolio performance targets within acceptable risk limits
Developing Financial Channels
- Improve Banking Institutions reach and financial inclusion by entering new markets and expanding client base to cover new channels entities that can channel ICD financing to the private sector
- Develop, maintain and monitor Banking Equities as a means to strengthening SME's access to financing in member countries and ensuring such initiatives generate the needed developmental impact.
- Develop new means and products to meet the requirements of ICD and its clients.
Sourcing & New investments
- Identify potential opportunities for corporate finance and other advisory services to the portfolio FIs ((including M&A, IPO, structured financing, capital raising etc) thereby helping them become financially and operationally self-sustainable
- Coordinate with Regional Offices (ROs) and/or with other departments of ICD and external parties for sourcing relevant transactions as per the strategy and business plan of the Banking Equities Division,
- Arrange and facilitate Banking Institutions marketing and awareness campaigns in target member-countries.
- Participate in client origination and sourcing strategy based upon target countries, products, sectors and developmental goals aligned with overall strategic direction
- Manage the sourcing of relevant transactions as per the strategy and business plan of the division
- Periodically discuses pipeline and appraising them with the progress on projects under the approval and disbursement stage.
- Ensure proper coordination with IBGF in respect of deal generations.
Transaction Acceptance and Processing
- Ensure that investment applications are processed as per ICD's policies and guidelines
- Process and present investment proposals to the IC and ExCom through RMD, Legal, Monitoring & Evaluation and Shariah review
- Negotiate with the client and finalize transaction terms and conditions
- Negotiating deal structuring and other investment terms and conditions of investments with the client as per the guidelines of the IC, finalizing term sheet and obtaining client's acceptance to the structure and terms.
- Coordinate with the legal unit for legal review, preparing transaction documentation and effectiveness of the transaction documents; Owning the client relationship for the tenure of investment period.
- If applicable, ensure all partner FIs selected comply with the internal rating process as established by ICD
- Ensure proper coordination with IBGF in respect of due diligence, execution etc.
- Ensure the Banking Institutions portfolio is appropriately managed and channeled to projects that are aligned with the strategic priorities for ICD, thereby meeting the overall portfolio performance targets within acceptable risk limits and maximizing the developmental impact
- Ensure that ICD's network of 3rd party alliances are leveraged to bring in deep sector expertise, where required.
- Track ICD's banking equities portfolio to identify the areas where technical skills and expertise will be required to support ICD beneficiaries effectively going forward
- Ensure that disbursements take place as per effectiveness of the CPs of Transaction Documents within expected project implementation time.
- Prepare and transfer distressed projects to RAMU as per internal policies Identify any problems and work out, negotiation, clear and implement limited restructuring solutions in exceptional circumstances
- [MAR1]Execute and manage all existing and new investments under IBGF in collaboration with Fund Manager of IBGF
- Maintain presence at Board level directly or indirectly in collaboration with Board members and management of the investee Banks for better understanding short term, medium term and long term directions of investments.
Monitoring & reporting
- Assess investment performance-tracking valuation and company performance and taking decisions to follow up on distressed assets. Liaising with the Risk Management division to formulate recovery strategies
- Formulate exit strategies: preparing info memos and assisting the Investment Banking division in conducting valuations and implementing the IPO exit process
- Maintain lines of financing ( as and where applicable) and ensuring that these are being extended to end users thereby achieving the desired development impact in addition to generating the necessary ROI
- Monitor existing Banking Equities portfolio for early detection of potential value erosion and adopting necessary strategy for safeguarding ICD's interest and reporting the results to the management corrective measures, if needed.
- Monitor and follow up to ensure timely receipts of dividend payments by Banking Equities portfolios Monitor on-going projects and inform RMD / IC on breach of covenants and deterioration of the clients' credit quality and propose waiver / restructuring if and when needed
- Provide regular management reports with analysis and comment on Banking Institutions function performance and results
- Designing and maintaining a database for periodical management reporting. Conducting quarterly, half yearly as well as full year reviews for investee Banks and providing in depth assessments on potential value creation/erosion
Stakeholder Relationship management
- Maintain good investor relationships with key portfolio companies and co-investment partners thereby ensuring smooth implementation of overall portfolio operations & generating maximum returns from the investments
- Represent the Banking Institutions in internal and external meetings and committees
- Share Banking Institutions' key lessons learnt with all business managers to build Banking Institutions management knowledge and enable them to use this knowledge to benefit their business decisions
- Actas a board member in investee bank's boards (as and where applicable) or recommending suitable representation for the same
- Generate commitment, motivation and enthusiasm to Banking Institutions function goals, and guide function members through periods of change or uncertainty.
- Provide clear direction, prioritise tasks, assign and delegate responsibility and monitor the workflow.
- Plan, manage and review individual performance and provide regular feedback, development and coaching, taking prompt action where necessary
- Provide opportunities for Banking Institutions function members to suggest, participate in and contribute to improvement, innovation and knowledge sharing initiatives
- Ensure team members of Banking Equities comply with ICD's policies, processes, practices and systems
- Ensure development of second tier leadership within Banking Equities team as part of smooth succession plan.
- A master's degree in finance, MBA or similar discipline
- A professional certificate in Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), Financial Risk Manager (FRM), Chartered Islamic Bankers, Charted Directors, Certified Public Accountant (CPA ) or any relevant professional certifications are a plus
- Minimum 15 years of total working experience
- 10 years of relevant experience in strategic investments, banking environment / financial institutions, preferably in a Shariah context, with at least 3 years of experience in a senior position.
- Working experience in other DFIs and /or prior experience within framework of IDBG are a plus.