Associate Analyst Insurance
Moody's Global Insurance rating franchise is an important part of the Global Financial Institutions (FIG) ratings group, comprising about 10% of annual debt issuance by financial institutions, and roughly a quarter of FIG revenues and operating income. EMEA Insurance is a significant part of this global franchise, with over 150 rated entities and strong market positions in Western European debt capital markets and recent growth in the Middle East. The EMEA Insurance team includes 6 analysts and 5 associate analysts.
Role / Responsibilities:
The Associate Analyst will work closely with Senior Analysts and have the opportunity to attend meetings with issuers and contribute to rating committees. The key function of the role is to provide analytical, statistical and research assistance to Analysts in the Insurance Group.
- Support analysts in the rating process, including drafting credit documents, formulating ratios, preparing spreadsheets, comparative statistics, graphs, tables, and working on special projects as and when needed.
- Monitor portfolio and quantitative and qualitative portfolio data as directed by lead Analyst.
- Review financial statements and apply Moody's methodologies and use financial models with limited guidance from Senior Analyst.
- Perform credit analysis on a company and sector basis under guidance of lead Analyst.
- Writes portions of press releases with assistance of Lead Analyst.
- Interacts with intermediaries and issuers on lower priority issues
- Review rating documentation, including bank loans, covenants and bond indentures
- Prepares sections of Rating Committee recommendations memo.
- Support sector and company research writing
- Preparation of outreach presentational material relating to company and sector focus
- Attend analytical meetings (European travel required) and assist with meeting follow-up reports
- Perform administrative tasks among other things, portfolio reviews and time sensitive projects .
As one of the leading global ratings agencies, Moody's insurance franchise includes over 150 insurance financial strength ratings in Europe, and Moody's rates over 90% of issued insurance debt.
- Insurance or reinsurance industry experience a strong advantage
- Strong academics with BSc/MSc (or equivalent) in a Finance, Accounting or Actuarial subject
- Relevant professional qualification (e.g. CFA and or CIMA /ACCA) would be highly beneficial
- Demonstrates enhanced accounting knowledge when reviewing insurance financial statements and proposes relevant solutions
- Solid understanding of insurance financial statements and of cash-flow lending techniques
- Credit analysis and Financial/statistical research capabilities
- Ability to use financial models and software specific to the business
- Strong quantitative aptitude and proven analytical skills
- Well developed IT skills including advanced Excel and PowerPoint
- Able to work to tight deadlines and manage own workflow/priorities accordingly
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, and demonstrable research skills
- Ambitious and highly motivated/keen to identify and pursue opportunities for self development
- Desire to exceed client expectations
- Able to work using own initiative and without close supervision
- Fluency in English and Spanish or German is essential
Moody's is an essential component of the global capital markets, providing credit ratings, research, tools and analysis that contribute to transparent and integrated financial markets. Moody's Corporation (NYSE: MCO) is the parent company of Moody's Investors Service, which provides credit ratings and research covering debt instruments and securities, and Moody's Analytics, which offers leading-edge software, advisory services and research for credit and economic analysis and financial risk management. The Corporation, which reported revenue of $3.5 billion in 2015, employs approximately 10,400 people worldwide and maintains a presence in 36 countries. Further information is available at www.moodys.com.
Moody's is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.
MIS and MSS Candidates are asked to disclose securities holdings pursuant to Moody's Policy for Securities Trading. Employment is contingent upon compliance with the Policy, including remediation of positions in those holdings as necessary.