- U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission
- Los Angeles, California
- $136,428 - $231,132 per year
- 10 Mar 2023
- 24 Mar 2023
- Job Function
- Industry Sector
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Agency: U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission
Position: Staff Accountant, SK-0510-14
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Salary: $136,428 - $231,132 per year
Open & Close Dates: 03/06/2023 to 03/24/2023
Job Link: https://www.usajobs.gov/job/710123800
If selected, you will serve as a senior accounting adviser in the Division of Enforcement, Los Angeles Regional Office for the Enforcement program's area of program emphasis on corporate accounting.
Conditions of Employment:
This position is open to US Citizens.
Typical duties include:
Provides forensic accounting expertise relating to complex and difficult accounting investigations, including the development and preparation of forensic accounting analysis and reports.
Applies sophisticated accounting, auditing, and investigative skills to identify, analyze, and summarize evidence of financial fraud or other accounting related violations of the federal securities laws.
Prepares detailed financial accounting findings and conclusions utilized in SEC administrative proceedings and/or federal court actions, and translates findings into terminology and formats which can be understood by both legal and lay personnel.
Works with legal staff by reviewing subpoenas; identifies potential witnesses and takes testimony; analyzes documentary and/or testimonial evidence to determine potential for Commission action.
Identifies accounting trends, problematic issues, and novel accounting processes being used by publicly held entities.
Responds to inquiries on complex accounting and auditing matters from Commission staff, securities industry staff, other federal agencies, and the courts relating to Enforcement cases and proceedings.
Qualifying experience may be obtained in the private or public sector. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Qualifying education must have been obtained from an accredited college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
BASIC REQUIREMENT: All applicants must possess the following:
Degree: accounting; or a degree in a related field such as business administration, finance, or public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting. The 24 hours may include up to 6 hours of credit in business law. (The term "accounting" means "accounting and/or auditing" in this standard. Similarly, "accountant" should be interpreted, generally, as "accountant and/or auditor.")OR Combination of education and experience: at least 4 years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge. The applicant's background must also include one of the following:
- Twenty-four semester hours in accounting or auditing courses of appropriate type and quality. This can include up to 6 hours of business law; A certificate as Certified Public Accountant or a Certified Internal Auditor, obtained through written examination; or Completion of the requirements for a degree that included substantial course work in accounting or auditing, e.g., 15 semester hours, but that does not fully satisfy the 24-semester-hour requirement of paragraph A, provided that (a) the applicant has successfully worked at the full performance level in accounting, auditing, or a related field, e.g., valuation engineering or financial institution examining; (b) a panel of at least two higher level professional accountants or auditors has determined that the applicant has demonstrated a good knowledge of accounting and of related and underlying fields that equals in breadth, depth, currency, and level of advancement that which is normally associated with successful completion of the 4-year course of study described in paragraph A; and (c) except for literal non-conformance to the requirement of 24 semester hours in accounting, the applicant's education, training, and experience fully meet the specified requirements
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENT: In addition to meeting the basic requirement, applicants must also meet the minimum qualification requirement.
SK-14: Applicant must have at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS/SK-13 level:
(1) Coordinating, staffing, and leading a public company audit in accordance with the standards of the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board, Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, and the federal securities laws;
(2) Performing detailed analyses, drawing conclusions, providing advice, and developing recommendations on complex transactions or issues;
(3) Evaluating policies, procedures, and processes related to financial operations;
(4) Developing technical recommendations and providing advice to senior organization management; and
(5) Conducting or leading discussions with corporate or public company CEO, CFO or other senior company officials.
Official transcripts will be required at the time of appointment to verify education.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
SEC Compensation Program: The overall salary range listed above is provided for informational purposes as it represents the full range that is applicable to current employees in this occupation/grade; however, a selectee's initial pay is always set below the maximum rate of the range. Please click here for additional information.
Reasonable Accommodation: If you are an applicant who needs a reasonable accommodation for disability to participate in the application process at the SEC, submit the form for Reasonable Accommodation for Participation in Job Application Process here. Please be sure to submit your request at least 5 business days in advance of the date you need the requested accommodation.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Information for SEC Job Applicants: Federal EEO laws protect all applicants from discrimination on the following bases: race, color, sex (not limited to conduct which is sexual in nature, includes pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, transgender status), age (40 and over), religion, national origin, disability, genetic information, retaliation for participating in the EEO process or opposing discrimination. Applicants who believe they have been discriminated against on any EEO basis can seek recourse through the SEC's administrative complaints process. To be timely, an individual must enter the EEO process within 45 days from when they know (or should have known) of the alleged discrimination. Click here for additional information.
TTY/ASCII: Video Relay Service users are welcome to contact the appropriate SEC office or employee via the contact information listed above. If you do not otherwise have access to a Video Phone or Video Relay service, you may send us an email or use the Federal Video Relay Service via the internet. For more information about using the Federal Relay Service and to create a new account, please see: https://www.federalrelay.us/
Additional guidance and application instructions can be found here: https://www.usajobs.gov/job/710123800