Global Distribution – Institutional Sales – Midwest (SVP/MD level)
- Mesirow Financial - Chicago
- Chicago, Illinois
- 08 Mar 2023
- 07 Apr 2023
- Industry Sector
- Asset Management, Finance - General
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Mesirow is an independent, employee-owned firm founded in 1937. As specialists in investment, risk management and advisory services, we are committed to helping our institutional, corporate, and individual clients achieve their objectives. We are proud of Mesirow’s culture of fostering team member engagement, entrepreneurship, and empowerment. Our positive culture, volunteerism, and opportunity for advancement makes Mesirow one of the few employers to be included in both Chicago Tribune’s Top Places to Work and Crain’s Best Places to Work in Chicago.
Mesirow’s investment management capabilities encompass traditional and alternative strategies that are managed by specialist teams to address investor risk and return objectives. The investment management teams deliver what institutional investors today value, from custom currency solutions and alpha generation to income generation and sustainable opportunities available in separate account, fund, or CIT format. The firm’s investment management business is comprised of six portfolio management teams that manage roughly $4.5 billion in traditional assets (core fixed income, high-yield fixed income, small/mid-cap equity), $130 billion in currency assets, and $10 billion in alternative assets (private equity and private real estate).
The successful candidate will represent the Company externally, representing Mesirow’s investment management capabilities to Institutional investors in the Midwest geographical region of the country. He/She will be responsible for cultivating a market of institutional investors, developing portfolio needs and communicating the value proposition of our various capabilities to this key market segment.
The ideal candidate will have an entrepreneurial and intellectually curious mindset, with extensive relevant industry experience and a proven track record of success across several investor types including endowments & foundations, insurance, healthcare, pensions and to a wide range of plan sizes. To emphasize a critical objective in this hire, we are strategically focused on broadening and deepening the opportunity set for our Traditional Asset Management business. Special consideration will be given to a demonstrated ability to access attractive investor types or investor profiles in the region that might find our capabilities or style of engagement particularly attractive.
Additional requirements include a demonstrated ability in building and managing relationships and someone who excels in a highly collaborative, results-orientated environment. The firm operates under the highest ethical standards and is looking to add a team member with the same attributes.
- Develop and execute a thoughtful marketing strategy to maintain and grow Mesirow’s investment management offerings to institutional investors in the Midwest geographical region of the country in a coordinated basis with other team members (i.e. Consultant Relations team) at the Firm.
- Identify areas to build strategic relationships with asset owners, investment staff, field consultants, and other centers of investment decision-making influence.
- Proactively source new business opportunities across several investor types including endowments & foundations, insurance, healthcare, pension and to a wide range of plan sizes with a primary focus on small/mid plans to large plans.
- Maintain an in-depth knowledge and awareness of markets, asset allocation and selection among institutional investors, investment products, practices and industry trends and help to position the Company to take advantage of opportunities as presented.
- Work closely with key internal stakeholders to help shape and evolve the firm's messaging, position and go-to-market strategy, while identifying the marketing needs that will support the sales process.
- Maintain a transparent pipeline and tracking of new clients and prospects. Effectively and consistently document interaction with consultants in the firm’s CRM system.
- At least 8 years of prior business development and/or fundraising experience with the ability to point to a track record of success in raising AUM and exceeding sales targets.
- Demonstrated relationship base and track record of primarily selling traditional asset classes (fixed income, equities), combined with a strong understanding and experience in alternative asset classes across several investor types including endowments & foundations, pensions, insurance, healthcare etc. and to a wide range of asset sizes with a primary focus on small/mid plans, in addition to large plans.
- Proven client relationship origination skills and networking skills, with the ability to market and brand the firm’s unique proposition and identify potential sourcing opportunities.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written. Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team-oriented environment.
- Self-starter with a strong work ethic and energized by the process of identifying prospective clients and closing new business.
- Ability to see beyond current realities and/or frameworks to envision and implement new and effective marketing strategies with target clients.
- An entrepreneurial mindset, with the ability to originate and close revenue-generating business.
- A structured and consistent sales approach with thorough follow-up, dynamism, and perseverance.
- Series 7 or 63 must be obtained upon hire, if not already active.