- Torray LLC
- Bethesda, Maryland (US)
- Base salary 150,000 – 175,000 + performance bonus. Benefits include health insurance, 401(k) plan.
- 07 Feb 2023
- 08 Apr 2023
- Job Function
- Equities Research: Buy Side
- Industry Sector
- Asset Management
- CFA Charterholder, Passed CFA Level I, Passed CFA Level II, Passed CFA Level III (Charter Pending)
- Employment Type
- Full Time
About the Position
Torray Investment Partners is seeking a passionate Research Analyst to become a long-term member of the firm’s investment team. The candidate will join a tight-knit, collaborative team with extensive investing and analytical experience. The position provides an excellent foundation for someone who wants to pursue a long-term career in investment management. The generalist approach employed by the investment team provides an opportunity for a young analyst to hone their investment judgement while working with experienced team members and also encourages the individual to pursue their own analytical interests.
The analyst will serve on the firm’s Investment Committee. Day-to-day activities include lead coverage of assigned holdings and driving analysis on potential new holdings. The analyst will be responsible for monitoring impactful news and proactively communicating this analysis as needed. The analyst will attend weekly Investment Committee meetings and participate in discussion across all portfolio holdings. The role will evolve to include greater responsibility as trust is built between the Investment Committee and the individual.
Specific Responsibilities Include
- Conduct business-focused, bottom-up fundamental research across sectors with a long-term investment horizon
- Lead coverage of approximately 15 to 20 holdings
- Generate new ideas for consideration
- Develop and maintain proprietary databases and analytical models
- Collaborate on research projects
- Provide analysis for client service as needed
- Think holistically about factors influencing portfolio management, especially on risk exposure
- Willingness to travel to conduct primary research
Skills & Experience Required
- Highest ethical standards that place clients first
- Demonstrated passion for equity analysis
- Able to articulate a personal investment philosophy
- Driven to outperform by hard work and creative problem solving, and not simply increasing risks
- Ability to work on team, but also self-starter and comfortable taking ownership of work
- Bachelor’s Degree; CFA charter or progress towards is preferred
- 3-5 years of financial modeling and quantitative analysis experience
Torray promotes a flat structure and life balance that fosters an environment of strong work ethic and teamwork. Benefits include health insurance and a 401(k) plan. We expect the base salary range for this role is $150,000 – 175,000 plus a performance bonus. Various factors contribute to determining the actual base salary, including years of relevant experience, qualifications, level of education attained, certifications or other professional licenses held, and relevant skills for the role.
About Torray Investment Partners
Torray Investment Partners’ primary objective of creating and preserving wealth for clients in a disciplined and consistent manner has deep roots. The firm was founded in 1972 by Robert E. Torray, who viewed common stock as a partial interest in a business, which allowed him to invest with a long-term owner’s mindset. Throughout the subsequent decades and market cycles, the firm has steadfastly provided concentrated portfolios of select businesses with strong fundamentals, applied a thoughtful approach to risk management, and maintained a long-term perspective. These enduring principles form the foundation of the investment philosophy and process that drive our active concentrated strategies.
Torray Investment Partners is 100% independent, owned by the people responsible for the day-to-day operations and management of client capital. Our partnership approach and client-centric culture guide us and underpin the way we do business. We manage four concentrated portfolios of 20-30 companies with low turnover that tend to look and act different than peers and benchmarks. Our equity strategies are primarily US-focused and include Concentrated Large Growth, Small/Mid Cap Growth, Large Value, and Equity Income.