Portfolio Compliance Consultant - Asset Management Investment Operations
- Northern Trust
- Chicago, Tempe, or West Palm Beach
- Salary commensurate with 2-3 years of experience
- 05 Jan 2023
- 04 Feb 2023
- Job Function
- Industry Sector
- Asset Management
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Northern Trust Asset Management is currently seeking a professional to join our Global Portfolio Compliance team.
The specific role, based in Chicago, Tempe, or West Palm Beach working in the Portfolio Compliance team, will be primarily focused on the implementation and monitoring of Investment and Regulatory Guidelines activities for Northern Trust Asset Management portfolios across asset class strategies.
- This role reports into the Head of Portfolio Compliance for Northern Trust Asset Management and will work closely with Portfolio Managers, Trading, Client teams, Legal, Marketing, and other business partners to ensure alignment of portfolios with client expectations and portfolio investment guidelines.
- Portfolio Onboarding and New Account Coding – Provide oversight and support the process of interpreting the client’s investment guidelines from the executed Investment Management Agreement (IMA) and implementing the required controls through use of the firm’s investment management platform (BlackRock’s Aladdin).
- Guideline Changes - Provide oversight and support the process through which a client may change their investment guideline provisions over time, based on their preferences or market conditions. The coding (i.e., controls) may need to be updated in Aladdin to reflect updated requirements.
- Compliance Monitoring - As a Portfolio Compliance Consultant, you will be part of a global team responsible for independently evaluating investment processes by evaluating exceptions on orders and post-trade holdings to evaluate compliance with Northern Trust’s investment standards and client guidelines.
- Portfolio Management Support – Portfolio Compliance works closely with portfolio management and trading teams to provide independent checks on compliance with 1) client and fund guidelines, 2) regulatory limits, and 3) Internal control requirements.
- Process Improvement Efforts - You’ll be part of a dynamic global team which is focused on leveraging technology to improve investment workflows and optimize compliance controls. Examples include; 1) designing and building new compliance rules, enhancing existing compliance coding, and investigate / troubleshoot potential breaches when needed. 2) Participating in efficiency and improvement initiatives by providing ideas and suggestions on possible improvements to systems or processes
- Strategic Projects – You’ll be part of a team which will be engaged in supporting firm-wide efforts to develop, integrate and launch new investment capabilities and align with evolving regulatory requirements worldwide.
- Client Engagement and Support – You will be part of and contribute to client engagement efforts which include certification reporting, due diligence reviews and collaboration on integrating client specific portfolio screens and risk controls.
- Governance and Executive Management – you will assist with quarterly board and committee/governance reporting and presentations as necessary.
- Growth and development within a truly global team and firm
- Exposure to multiple business groups and investment products across Northern Trust globally
- Daily interaction with key business partners (Onboarding, Portfolio Management, Client relationship teams, Legal and Compliance, Technology and Operations, and external clients) across the globe
- Opportunity to take responsibility and ownership for both individual goals and projects
- Exposure to global regulatory jurisdictions and frameworks
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 2+ years of compliance, risk, operations or comparable experience within investment and/or within financial services (preferable)
- Experience working with the investment management industry and with investment products (preferable)
- Experience with coding in SQL or Compliance Monitoring tools (Aladdin, Charles River, Sentinel, In-House systems) (preferable)
- Experience in successfully leading projects (preferable)
- A strong drive, sense of ownership and urgency
- Strong communicator with ability to multi-task and manage time sensitive deadlines
- Team orientated with collaboration mindset and ability to self-manage workloads
- Attention to detail and technical mindset with strong interest in investment management industry
- Dedicated approach to issue resolution
- Sound judgement, with a developed sense for risk identification, assessment and management.