- John Laing
- New York City, New York
- Commensurate with education and experience
- 22 Dec 2022
- 20 Feb 2023
- Job Function
- Risk Management
- Industry Sector
- Asset Management
- Employment Type
- Full Time
JOHN LAING GROUP
John Laing is a leading international investor focused on developing and delivering core infrastructure in OECD countries through two investment areas: i) Mid-market Infrastructure; and ii) PPP & Projects. We invest across a spectrum of development, under construction, and operational assets.
Over its history, John Laing has invested in over 150 assets globally. We currently manage a diversified portfolio of over 30 investments with assets under management of approximately £2 billion.
Previously listed on the London Stock Exchange and a member of the FTSE250, John Laing was taken private in 2021 by KKR’s Diversified Core Infrastructure Fund (DCIF). Under DCIF ownership, John Laing operates as a standalone business with offices covering the UK & Europe, North America, Australia and Colombia.
the ROLE AND OPPORTUNITY
In this role, you would be part of the Valuations Team, within the Group business division, playing a crucial role in the valuation of John Laing’s assets and other key aspects of portfolio performance. You will take ownership of the financial models used for valuations and will work closely with Asset Directors to carry out financial analysis supporting commercial decision-making around the Americas portfolio, as well as to identify and model risks and opportunities that impact the assets’ value.
This is a great opportunity for a senior valuation professional who wants to grow their career in a global investment company with direct exposure to the commercial side of the business. You will be primarily responsible for the North American and Colombian assets and will work closely with team members covering the UK, Europe, and Australian portfolio.
You will be responsible for supporting the Valuations and Asset Management Teams in the Americas with all valuation responsibilities. This will include:
- Periodic valuation of growing portfolio of assets with a mixture of construction and operational projects within PPP, Renewable Energy and Mid-Market infrastructure.
- Collaboration with the Asset Directors to: i) support commercial decision-making; ii) track asset performance; iii) identify risks and opportunities; and iv) assess potential impact on asset value.
- Identification, measurement, and analysis of valuation metrics, such as recent transaction and discount rates.
- Review of valuation models for integrity and accuracy.
- Compliance with our internal valuation controls and processes.
- Coordination with external auditors as well as third party valuation firms on annual basis.
- Other ad-hoc tasks as assigned.
Ownership of Models
You will be responsible for owning the in-house valuation models and overseeing the asset / bank models that are managed by external parties.
- Ensure new models’ accuracy while enhancing the existing models’ quality.
- Update the valuation models for change in actual and expected results, strategy, or corporate actions. Conduct scenario and sensitivity analysis to support asset management activities.
- Analyse and identify data required to support model tracking.
- Recommend and implement model improvement measures to decrease/eliminate model risk and improve the valuation process.
You will be responsible for supporting the Head of Valuations in preparing valuation presentation and reports for key stakeholders including Portfolio Review & Valuations Committee, Investment Committee as well as the CFO, CEO, and the Board.
Qualifications and COMPETENCIES
The ideal candidate is likely to come from a similar role in an investment institution, private equity fund, or a consulting firm, and should possess:
- A Bachelor’s degree and at least 5 years of relevant work experience in infrastructure valuations
- Professional qualification such as CFA, CAIA, ACA, CIMA or ACCA
- Advanced Excel and financial modelling skills, including VBA, Queries & Connections
- Effective communication skills and ability to work well both automatously and in a team environment
- Strong time management and organisational skills with ability to work on multiple engagements
John Laing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.