Portfolio Manager – Fixed Income
We are currently seeking a Portfolio Manager (PM) to work closely with our insurance clients to manage their portfolios across a variety of asset classes including fixed income, equities, and various alternative investment strategies. The PM also provides support and service to the client. The position involves portfolio management, client relationship management and service, and new business support. The ideal candidate will have a combination of portfolio management and client relationship management skills and an understanding of insurance company operations. The full-time position is located in downtown Chicago with some flexibility to work remotely under company policy.
• Work collaboratively with AAM’s Insurance Strategist and AAM investment professionals including Traders and Research Analysts, to understand a client’s objectives and design an investment strategy to achieve those investment objectives within appropriate risk parameters
• Oversee direct management of a number of client investment portfolios and implement a portfolio strategy across investment grade fixed income sectors to achieve each client’s objectives using the ideas generated from our strategy, research and trading teams
• Participate on firm-wide investment strategy committees within AAM to develop investment themes to be implemented across client portfolios
• Work collaboratively as part of an investment team that includes another PM and an Assistant PM to manage accounts and relationships
• Manage client relationships including all aspects of service and reporting with support from the Assistant PM and Operations team
• Lead and participate in client meetings and formal presentations to Executive Officers, Investment Committees and/or Boards of Directors
• Monitor portfolio risk positioning, compliance and performance
• Continually learn about our clients, their business and insurance products and various segments of the insurance industry
• Mentor and manage an Assistant PM to strengthen his/her investment and communication skills
• Contribute to firm AUM growth by supporting AAM’s Sales and Marketing team in business development opportunities and Thought Leadership production
• A minimum of 5 years (10 preferred) of fixed income portfolio management experience
• College degree in finance, accounting, math, economics, computer science or a related field with an MBA preferred
• CFA Charter holder required
• Experience with fixed income portfolio management systems (FactSet, BondEdge, Bloomberg)
• Proficiency managing across investment grade segments including Government, Credit, Mortgage, ABS, and Municipals. Structured products focus preferred.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to multitask, with an attention to detail and accuracy, sense of urgency, and flexibility
• Intellectual curiosity and interest in capital markets
• A motivated, competitive, self-starter with the ability to work as part of a team-oriented organization
We encourage you to submit your resume if you are interested and meet the above criteria. Only qualified candidates will be contacted.
AAM is an SEC Registered Investment Advisor dedicated solely to insurance asset management. Our talented and innovative team of experts is committed to generating the best investment ideas for our clients. With substantial expertise in portfolio management, in-house security research and superior service, we have distinguished ourselves in the industry. Our strength originates from our size, from our independent research capabilities and from our ability to invest around our client’s goals, needs and circumstances. As of 9/30/2022, AAM manages over $26 billion for 123 clients throughout the United States. It has 48 employees located in a single office in Chicago, IL and was founded in 1982. AAM is privately owned by a combination of 23 AAM Member employees with a majority stake owned by Securian Financial, which is rated A+ by A.M. Best and is one of the largest and most stable financial services firms in the country.
AAM provides equal opportunity and advancement for qualified individuals without distinction or discrimination based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital or familial status, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, status in regard to public assistance or any other status or condition protected by local, state or federal law.