Credit Risk Specialist
A little about Capital Power
Capital Power (TSX: CPX) is dedicated to powering a sustainable future for people and planet. Headquartered in Edmonton, Alberta, we’re a growth oriented North American power producer that creates innovative electricity solutions to electrify the world reliably and affordably while protecting the planet for future generations. We’re passionate about our employees and place their entire wellbeing at the center of our people strategy. We are proud to foster a culture that values diversity, equity, and inclusion; recognizing this is paramount to help grow our company and reach our net carbon neutral by 2050 goal. We’re proud to foster an inclusive environment where employees are empowered to be their best, make meaningful contributions and go home safe every day.
One Permanent Full Time Position.
Do you want to work for a fast-growing organization which is focused on sustainable growth, committed to a low carbon future, and believes in innovation?
Capital Power is currently seeking an experienced professional to join our Credit team.
The Credit team is responsible for managing counterparty exposure, risk, and reporting across trading, commercial operations, supply chain, business development and investment/treasury operations.
Reporting to the Credit Risk Manager, the Credit Risk Specialist is accountable for the performance of Credit activities for the commodity portfolio of Capital Power.
You will contribute to our team by
- Analyzing and assessing the financial condition and creditworthiness of applicable new counterparties to commodity transactions and performing ongoing reviews of a highly complex portfolio of current counterparties.
- Monitoring credit exposures for the commodity portfolio and ensures accurate reporting of exposures for management use.
- Developing and providing training as required to cross-functional partners to promote the understanding of the credit risk management program.
- Ensuring the credit reporting and security maintenance accountabilities of dotted line or direct report positions as applicable are met.
- Providing detailed analysis, recommendations, and authorizations for counterparty credit ratings and credit limits and where applicable recommending and implementing pro-active exposure mitigation strategies.
- Managing counterparty contracts and business processes to reduce the amount of capital provided/utilized.
- Providing input into people decisions and participating in interviews within the recruitment process for new hires in Credit.
- Providing input to the middle office business plans and direction.
- Providing input into Policy, Process, and technology decisions impacting the Credit team.
- Participating in counterparty contract negotiations as applicable and working cross-functionally with Front Office, Legal and/or Documentation resources as required.
- Providing recommendations for the continuous improvement of existing processes and Policies and where applicable implementing or recommending new business processes.
- Filling information requests from management in a complete, accurate and timely manner.
- Keeping informed of industry standards and addressing any material gaps.
- Fostering collaborative relationships with external counterparties and peers to facilitate commercial relations, knowledge sharing, and bilateral contract negotiation.
- Collaborating with internal cross-functional groups, in the negotiation of credit contractual terms and where applicable, in the implementation of credit exposure mitigations strategies.
- Providing coaching and development to team members, provides input into performance reviews and development needs.
What you will bring to the role
- University degree, B.Comm preferred
- MBA/CFA/CPA designation also an asset. Education equivalency may be considered.
- 5+ years of related experience.
- Experience within credit risk management, and a strong understanding of corporate financial statements, bankruptcy, and commodity trading agreements.
- Proficiency with Excel and Word and excellent analytical skills are required.
- Basic understanding of ETRM database configuration and content is also an asset.
- Hybrid Office/Work from home position, with possible very minimal travel to meet business users at Capital Power facilities or other offices.
Clearance of Credit check is required for this position.
In order to be considered for this role you must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
The successful candidate for this position will undergo an education verification, reference checks and criminal record check.
We offer a highly flexible benefits and wellbeing program, comprehensive onboarding and training, and various development opportunities to support your success and personal growth.
How To Apply and Next Steps
Capital Power only accepts resumes via online application at www.capitalpower.com/careers. If you choose to submit your resume by any other means, we cannot guarantee that your application will be considered for vacancies.
Applicants with disabilities who require a reasonable accommodation to complete their application can request accessible formats, communication support, or other accessibility assistance by contacting
Capital Power is committed to providing a fair and transparent hiring process. We recognize and embrace the value of diversity and hire employees with the appropriate skills, experience and knowledge for each position.
Thank you for taking the time to apply and expressing interest in powering a sustainable future with Capital Power! We wish that we could personally respond to everyone who applies; however, it is our practice to contact only those individuals selected for interviews.
To apply on this position please go to www.capitalpower.com/careers and search for JR805322.