Manager, Credit Risk
A little about Capital Power
Capital Power (TSX: CPX) is dedicated to powering a sustainable future for people and planet. Headquartered in Edmonton, Alberta, we’re a growth oriented North American power producer that creates innovative electricity solutions to electrify the world reliably and affordably while protecting the planet for future generations. We’re passionate about our employees and place their entire wellbeing at the center of our people strategy. We are proud to foster a culture that values diversity, equity, and inclusion; recognizing this is paramount to help grow our company and reach our net carbon neutral by 2050 goal. We’re proud to foster an inclusive environment where employees are empowered to be their best, make meaningful contributions and go home safe every day.
One Permanent Full Time Position.
Do you want to work for a fast-growing organization which is focused on sustainable growth, committed to a low carbon future, and believes in innovation?
Capital Power is currently seeking an experienced professional to join our Credit team.
The Credit team is responsible for managing counterparty exposure, risk, and reporting across trading, commercial operations, supply chain, business development and investment/treasury operations.
Reporting to the Director, Credit & Treasury, the Credit Risk Manager is accountable for all aspects of the performance of Credit activities for the commodity portfolio of Capital Power including People Management.
You will contribute to our team by
- Analyzing and assessing the financial condition and creditworthiness of applicable new counterparties to commodity transactions and performing ongoing reviews of a highly complex portfolio of current counterparties.
- Reviewing and managing the Credit work performed by a team of credit analysts.
- Providing ongoing coaching, mentoring, and development to team members, and providing input into performance reviews and development needs.
- Monitoring credit exposures for the commodity portfolio and ensuring accurate reporting of exposures for management use.
- Analyzing and assessing the counterparties and contracts related to Commercial and Business Development transactions as required.
- Developing and providing training as required to cross-functional partners to promote the understanding of the credit risk management program.
- Ensuring adequate resources, technical competencies, and an effective org structure are maintained to support the accountabilities and delivery of the commodity credit risk program.
- Managing counterparty contracts and business processes to reduce the amount of capital provided/utilized.
- Providing detailed analysis, recommendations, and authorizations for counterparty credit ratings and credit limits and where applicable recommending and implementing pro-active exposure mitigation strategies.
- Providing recommendations into people decisions and leading interviews within the recruitment process for new hires in Credit.
- Providing recommendations into the Credit business plans, departmental budget, and direction.
- Providing input into Policy, Process, and technology decisions impacting the Credit team.
- Participating in counterparty contract negotiations and working cross-functionally with Front Office, Supply Chain, Legal and/or Documentation resources as required to ensure CPC agreement standards are maintained including discussions with counterparties, as required.
- Recommending strategies for managing non-standard counterparty structures or exceptions.
- Providing recommendations for the continuous improvement of existing processes and Policies and where applicable implementing or recommending new business processes.
- Providing key input and recognizing opportunities for change management within the Credit function, in efforts to streamline and make the work more efficient.
- Ensuring effective risk management practices by keeping informed of industry standards and addressing any material gaps.
- Developing, implementing, and reviewing Credit work practices and Policy to ensure compliance with standards and mitigation of risks.
- Fostering collaborative relationships with external counterparties and peers to facilitate commercial relations, knowledge sharing, and bilateral contract negotiation.
- Acting as a subject matter expect and point of contact for more senior level partners within the organization and working with them on a collaborative basis.
- Collaborating with internal cross-functional groups, both vertically and laterally, in the negotiation of credit contractual terms and, in the implementation of credit exposure mitigations strategies.
- Providing input to the Executive team and/or Audit Committee as required.
What you will bring to the role
- University degree, preferably BCom.
- MBA/CFA/CPA designation also an asset.
- Education equivalency may be considered.
- 7+ years of related experience within credit risk management, and a strong understanding of corporate financial statements, bankruptcy, commodity trading agreements, and JVA/Supply chain agreements.
- Strong leadership skills and prior people management experience.
- Proficiency with Excel and Word and excellent analytical skills are required.
- Basic understanding of ETRM database configuration and content is also an asset.
- Hybrid Office/Work from home position, with possible very minimal travel to meet business users at Capital Power facilities or other offices.
This position is open to both Calgary and Edmonton candidates.
Clearance of Credit check is required for this position.
In order to be considered for this role you must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
The successful candidate for this position will undergo an education verification, reference checks and criminal record check.
We offer a highly flexible benefits and wellbeing program, comprehensive onboarding and training, and various development opportunities to support your success and personal growth.
How To Apply and Next Steps
Capital Power only accepts resumes via online application at www.capitalpower.com/careers. If you choose to submit your resume by any other means, we cannot guarantee that your application will be considered for vacancies.
Applicants with disabilities who require a reasonable accommodation to complete their application can request accessible formats, communication support, or other accessibility assistance by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
Capital Power is committed to providing a fair and transparent hiring process. We recognize and embrace the value of diversity and hire employees with the appropriate skills, experience and knowledge for each position.
Thank you for taking the time to apply and expressing interest in powering a sustainable future with Capital Power! We wish that we could personally respond to everyone who applies; however, it is our practice to contact only those individuals selected for interviews.
To apply on this position please go to www.capitalpower.com/careers and search for JR805314