New Ventures Analyst
Analyst, New Ventures
Location: Calgary, AB
Reports to: Manager, Origination & Development
Requisition number: 25025
The New Ventures Business Unit’s (NVU) team is growing. This is a unique opportunity to be part of a high-energy team working on new business platform opportunities for Pembina Pipeline Corporation. For this role, we are seeking a motivated candidate with a strong understanding of financial concepts, theory and proven excel modeling capabilities.
New Ventures is focused on identifying, evaluating and developing new value-enhancing business platforms. We are leveraging our organization’s deep technical and commercial expertise, expansive infrastructure network and product mix to develop opportunities in three core areas:
- Energy Diversification, Chemicals and Terminals.
- Energy Diversification: we are developing competencies and strategic projects to position our business, customers and products for resiliency in a low-carbon economy;
- Chemicals: we are evaluating world-scale facilities and investments that can transform our feedstock into higher-value products; and
- Terminals: we are building on our tide-water presence to access diversified, global markets for our customers and products.
Summary of Responsibilities
Responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Support New Ventures through the life cycle of ideation, evaluation (quantitative and qualitative) and development of business opportunities;
- *Core Focus of Role*: Build and maintain detailed financial models and valuation analyses, incorporating modeling best practices, established corporate economic standards and frameworks, valuation principles, financing structures, accounting and tax considerations;
- Conduct data gathering and research to advance our understanding in developing and developed industries, markets, businesses, products, technologies and other areas New Ventures may investigate;
- Coordinate projects through the early stages of ideation and evaluation following established Project Development and Governance Lifecycle frameworks;
- Support and prepare investment decision materials, and presentations for internal and external stakeholders;
- Develop an understanding of relevant government policy and funding opportunities across different levels of government;
- Maintain an awareness of developing industry news, trends, peer activity, corporate risks and opportunities;
- Generate business insights, articulate results and findings providing recommendations for actionable decision making;
- Develop strong and collaborative working relationships across industry and inside of Pembina;
- Support New Ventures’ strategies, budgeting, planning when and where applicable;
- Undertake ad-hoc analytical and qualitative requests as required; and
- Participate and support an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workplace.
- A Bachelor’s degree in one of the following: Economics, Business Administration focused on Finance or Accounting, Engineering or another quantitative discipline:
- Possess or be working towards advanced education is preferred but not required;
- A general understanding of the energy industry (upstream, midstream, downstream) and/or knowledge in either of the following areas is viewed as highly desirable:
- Low-carbon industries, markets, products, regulation (carbon, hydrogen, renewable power, renewable fuels and gasses, etc.);
- Chemicals (ammonia, methanol, etc.) and/or;
- Import/export terminals (LNG, propane, etc.);
- Previous work experience in roles which support activities, such as corporate development, business development, planning, transaction or project based advisory services (investment banking, private equity, etc.), or any other analytical/research role which meaningfully supported strategic, financial or project-based decisions;
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Sound ability to articulate results and findings;
- Proven financial modeling capabilities and best practices;
- Effective communicator (strong written and verbal skills);
- Highly capable with MS Excel, PowerPoint and Word; and
- Participate in an inclusive and diverse work environment.
What Will Help You Succeed:
- A keen sense of curiosity and commitment to learning;
- Desire to work in an entrepreneurial team setting;
- Self-starter, ambitious and results-driven;
- Resourceful and well-organized; Strict attention to detail and accountability;
- Confidence in your analytical capabilities and business acumen; and
- Ability to work independently and across a multi-disciplined team.
We offer competitive compensation; including base plus incentive bonus, pension & savings plans, health benefits, employee development programs to support personal development and career progression and, a hybrid work arrangement, in an environment that is equitable, diverse, and inclusive.