ESG Stewardship Specialist - Global and US Growth Equity
William Blair Investment Management is committed to building enduring relationships with our clients. We work closely with private and public pension funds, insurance companies, endowments, foundations, and sovereign wealth funds, as well as financial advisors. We are 100% active-employee-owned with broad-based ownership. Our investment teams are solely focused on active management and employ disciplined, analytical research processes across a wide range of strategies, including U.S. equity, non-U.S. equity, emerging markets debt, and multi-asset. William Blair is based in Chicago with global resources providing expertise and solutions to meet our clients’ evolving needs.
We are seeking an ESG Stewardship Specialist to support the firm’s rapidly evolving active ownership needs. This newly created role will be central to raising the profile of the firm's sustainable investing capabilities internally and externally. The position requires an individual with a passion for sustainable investing, strong knowledge of stewardship and corporate governance-related topics and best practices, proxy voting, as well as a creative, entrepreneurial approach to their work. Experience engaging directly with companies, including senior executives and board members, is desirable.
The successful candidate will support ESG-focused engagement and proxy voting activities. The role is highly collaborative, working across investment teams and liaising with the director of sustainable investing and ESG Leadership team.
- 3-5 years (possibly 5-7 years) relevant work experience in ESG-focused asset management, corporate governance research-focused or other ESG investment-focused role
- Demonstrated knowledge of stewardship practices, corporate governance and sustainability issues; experience engaging with companies on ESG issues; experience with proxy voting analysis or proxy voting process oversight including guideline development.
- Self-motivated, entrepreneurial individual with the ambition to succeed in and work collaboratively in an environment that demands constant multi-tasking; command of investment management concepts and technical proficiency; proactive attitude and approach to work that can help the team identify opportunities to do things better/differently in order to optimize success.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills, with the ability to build and maintain trusted relationships across all levels and represent William Blair positively to external contacts;
- Accountability and willingness to take initiative to independently learn and continuously improve output
- Effective writing skills to support recording of engagement and voting activity on internal systems as well as identification of meaningful and relevant examples for inclusion in reporting materials
- Bachelors degree required; progress towards CFA desirable
- Completion of ESG credential or certificate programs preferred (SASB FSA, CFA ESG Certificate, PRI Academy certification, etc.)
- Experience participating in industry networks and associations such as the PRI, Investor Stewardship Group, International Corporate Governance Network, Ceres, Climate Action 100+, etc.
- Ability/interest in working hybrid from our Chicago office.
More searches like this
- Equities Research: Buy Side Asset Management jobs in Full Time
- ESG/Socially Responsible Research Asset Management jobs in Full Time
- Portfolio Management: Alternatives Asset Management jobs in Full Time
- Portfolio Management: Equities Asset Management jobs in Full Time
- Portfolio Management: Multi-Asset Asset Management jobs in Full Time