Senior Associate, Impact Investment - Remote - US based
Choosing a career with ECMC Group means joining a nonprofit corporation with a mission to help students succeed. With a vibrant mission and values, great benefits, and strong community involvement, ECMC Group companies are an ideal team to join.
The Senior Associate, Impact Investing is a core contributor within ECMC Group Education Impact Fund (EIF), a $250M evergreen corporate venture capital fund, which aims to generate outsized, positive impact in post-secondary education and workforce development, alongside financial returns. In collaboration with other members of the investment team, the Senior Associate will support and help lead execution of the EIF investment mandate, including refining the fund’s investment thesis and approach, deal sourcing, transaction execution, portfolio management, and governance. This role is suited for a passionate and entrepreneurial investment professional looking to progress their career in corporate venture capital and take on greater responsibility within an impact-focused venture capital investment platform. The EIF team is a small, high-energy team where all individuals have the opportunity to take on significant responsibility as they grow within the organization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Engage with other members of the investment team to continuously refine and evaluate investment thesis and identify new investment themes and perspectives.
- Monitor and analyze external market dynamics, assess trends, and develop actionable investment theses and research.
- Support and drive end-to-end investment and M&A processes, including proactive deal sourcing, due diligence on prospective companies, market analysis and competitive landscaping, drafting investment memos / presentations, and structuring and negotiation of term sheets and definitive agreements.
- Employ customary analyses (e.g. market sizing) and valuation techniques to assess the economic value of potential investments. Create detailed, dynamic operating and financial models to assess the impacts of various scenarios and potential returns.
- Support portfolio companies across various operating activities, including business development, strategy, financing, and impact measurement.
- Support internal operational activities, including external marketing / reporting, management of investment pipeline CRM, financial and impact reporting activities for the impact investment portfolio.
- Bachelor's Degree in Business, Finance, Accounting or related field and 5+ years’ work experience, or, Master’s Degree and 4+ years’ work experience. Work experience must be in strategy, finance or investment fields, including venture capital, private equity, investment banking, management consulting, corporate development, or in a product or technical role at a startup.
- Demonstrated use of analytical abilities, financial modeling skills and working knowledge of financial and accounting theory.
- Experience with oral and written communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain strong relationships with colleagues, entrepreneurs, investors, and other stakeholders.
- Experience working in a collaborative, fast-paced, results-driven environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and think creatively to deliver high quality, thoughtful, and accurate work in a timely manner.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively organize, plan, control and prioritize work/projects; regularly communicating progress to appropriate stakeholders.
- Experience working with Microsoft Office tools, including the ability to perform advanced analytics in Excel and create articulate presentations in PowerPoint.
- 1+ years of work experience in education- or workforce development-related field.
- Master’s degree in Business, Finance, Accounting or related field.
- Demonstrated experience taking a lead role in all aspects of M&A / investment transactions – sourcing, execution, negotiation, and integration.
- Demonstrated interest in social impact or impact investing.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
ECMC Group is committed to ensuring our diverse, inclusive and equitable culture is built on a strong sense of belonging, where everyone feels seen, heard and encouraged to show up as their authentic self.