Investment Analyst- ESG
Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum's financial protection benefits help protect more than 36 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury.
Unum's two distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US and Colonial Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum also has significant US operations in Portland, Maine and Baton Rouge, Louisiana - and over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide.
Responsible Investment is a key pillar in Unum’s Corporate Sustainability Strategy. We believe that incorporating Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) factors into our investment analysis is essential to identifying risks and opportunities, which benefits all of our stakeholders. Therefore, we integrate ESG factors into our investment research process and decision-making. This is a new position supporting Unum’s $42 billion investment portfolio. The individual will assist and report to our ESG Investment Team Leader by performing a broad range of tasks that include gathering and analyzing data, creating reports and presentations for internal and external partners, and developing best practices for this evolving initiative. In addition, the position encompasses certain (non-ESG) responsibilities within the Investments Department that includes trading commercial paper. This role will be based in Chattanooga, TN.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Environmental, Social and Governance
- Support incorporation of ESG principles into our investment policies and practices
- Assist our ESG Investment Team Leader in a variety of projects/presentations for both internal and external parties
- Facilitate communication and implementation of the corporate sustainability strategy by building relationships within our organization to help guide internal stakeholders in developing related initiatives
- Support the ESG Investment Team Leader in remaining abreast of developing ESG regulatory initiatives and in contributing to our corporate response and implementation
- Evaluate potential ESG tools and best practices for the Investments team
- Manage various ESG data sources; develop new reporting capabilities; maintain data integrity
- Develop and update internal reports and key performance indicators including internal ESG risk score assessment and ESG securities holdings.
- Participate in ESG related conferences and thought leadership initiatives
- Support investment research team in their incorporation of ESG principles into their analysis by providing timely and relevant insight, data support, and assist in identifying market trends related to ESG factors.
Short Term Trading and Management
- Daily interface with internal Treasury team to optimize cash needs and meet portfolio requirements
- Work with outside brokers to complete purchases and sales of CP and MMF
- Coordinate with internal credit team to manage list of investable CP
- Weekly reporting on short term portfolio holdings and trading activity
- Perform various projects for Investments, as needed
- Progression within role could develop into opportunities in credit research analysis
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, economics or related field required
- 2–4 years relevant work experience in an investments-related field
- General familiarity with ESG topics, trends, risks, leading organizations, and frameworks preferred.
- Very strong communications skills; demonstrated ability to effectively communicate ideas and recommendations verbally and in writing
- Strong Excel, PowerPoint, and data management skills; ability to learn new software and utilize internal and external quantitative tools that value corporate credit risk
- Experience with Bloomberg Terminal and Bloomberg Excel API; experience with additional third-party ESG platforms (e.g. MSCI, ISS, Sustainalytics) a plus
- Excellent problem-solving skills, documentation skills and ability to work independently
- Self-starter; exceptional work ethic, intellectual curiosity, attention to detail, team orientation, and commitment to excellence
- Ability to multitask and thrive in a fast-paced environment
Our company is built on helping individuals and families, and this starts with our employees. We want employees to maintain a positive balance, which is why we provide access to the benefits and resources they need to invest in themselves. From our onsite fitness facilities and generous paid time off to employee professional development programs, we are committed to helping employees live and work their best – both inside and outside the office.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.