Investment Operations Middle Office Account Services Analyst/Senior Analyst
WHO WE ARE
With the Investment Management Division (IMD) you will be joining a diverse group of achievers who celebrate the unique value individuals bring to support our shared cause: earning trust and contributing to the financial future of 1.7 million public education employees and retirees throughout Texas. Navigating the current market environment takes innovation and we’re passionate about stewarding the right investments to make an impact both in the lives of our members and all Texans. We invite you to partner with the best financial minds in the business to manage a global portfolio of over $195 billion in public and private investments. Our success starts with you.
The Investment Operations Middle Office Account Services Senior Analyst performs advanced (senior-level) investment-related financial analysis work. Work focuses on account services for public and private markets. Work involves analyzing and assessing account, legal, tax, and market documentation related to financial investments, including derivatives and physically settled securities, as well as analyzing and reconciling investment data and preparing related reports. Works under minimal supervision with considerable latitude for initiative and independent judgment. This position reports to a Manager of Investment Operations.
Compensation: The TRS Investment Management Division offers an attractive compensation package consisting of base salary, annual performance incentive bonus, a defined-benefit pension plan as well as 401(k) and 457 retirement plans, and comprehensive benefits.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
Data Analysis and Reconciliation
• Analyzes and assesses account, legal, tax, and market documentation related to financial investment, including derivatives and physically settled securities.
• Manages the account on/off boarding operational process with the Custodian Bank, external counterparties, and internal systems.
• Assists with the external manager on/off-boarding for new or terminating managers.
• Coordinates with TRS legal staff on regulatory issues and on multiple types of requests, including account agreements, Power of Attorneys, local market documentation, proxy related documentation, and apostilles.
• Liaises between TRS’s tax advisor, Custodian Bank and external counterparties to ensure appropriate exchange of information and data.
• Monitors, verifies and reports investment information.
• Analyzes market data, pricing, trading information, corporate actions, and other issues that affect portfolio valuation, performance, compliance and regulations.
• Researches the causes of discrepancies on investment book of record data on a daily, monthly, quarterly, or annual basis, including conferring with internal and external investment managers, accounting, custodian, and investment systems and ability to explain these discrepancies.
• Synthesizes and integrates data for investment decision making.
• Understands compliance rules and collaborates with internal and external investment managers, custodian and investment systems to ensure proper methodology, reconciles differences, and flags alerts to the front office for action.
• Actively researches and identifies areas for improvement around operations, reporting and investment systems. • Updates and maintains operational documentation, policies and procedures.
• Facilitates resolutions cross-organization.
• Improves business processes by streamlining and standardizing data across the organization.
• Focuses on automating manual heavy tasks to minimize repetitive pain points.
• Organizes and prioritizes task in an innovative and effective way.
• Compiles data and prepares detailed periodic and ad hoc reports on data reconciliation, portfolio valuation, holdings, fees, expenses and other investment information using report writing, database, spreadsheet and other software, for use by agency management, Investment's staff, the legislature and vendors, and to provide information requested under the Open Records Act.
• Leads transaction communications and takes appropriate corrective action to ensure accurate data flow between parties, including TRS, custodian and other internal and external investment systems.
• Participates on or leads various investment operations related projects to implement strategic initiatives or improve system integration between applications, custodian, internal and external partners, portfolio analytics and other third-party software.
• Prepares, generates and analyzes data for investment decision-making including exposures, compliance, portfolio views, performance, risk, liquidity, fees, Management Committee and Board Reporting.
• Performs related work as assigned
WHAT YOU WILL BRING:
Minimum Required Qualifications
·Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in business administration, finance, accounting, operations research, math, information technology, liberal arts or a related area.
·A Master’s degree in a related area may substitute for a year of the required experience.
·Three (3) years of full-time accounting, financial analysis, trade settlement or related investment documentation experience requiring compilation, reconciliation, and/or analysis of detailed information.
Registration, Certification, or Licensure:
·Three (3) years of full-time professional investments experience or other experience involving a high degree of skill in data analysis and evaluation.
·Certification as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) and/or Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst (CAIA) or working towards CPA/CFA/CAIA.
·Experience with software languages, database and report writing technology (SQL, SSRS, and PowerBI).
·Basic understanding of capital markets, investment securities (equities, bonds, and derivatives), and/or private markets (real estate or private equity).
·Basic understanding of investment performance measurement.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
·Knowledge of investment concepts, terminology, styles, models, strategies and fundamental and quantitative investment factors.
·Performing complex financial analysis.
·Verifying and auditing financial data.
·Using a computer in a Windows environment with MS Office word processing, spreadsheet (including advanced Excel functions and macros), and database systems; report writing; and other business software.
·Conducting data searches and evaluations of large amounts of information, performing complex statistical analysis of the data, and preparing concise and accurate reports.
·Communicating complex technical information, verbally and in writing, including presenting analysis.
·Organizing and coordinating work assignments to effectively meet frequent and/or multiple deadlines, in handling multiple tasks simultaneously, and in managing conflicting priorities and demands.
·Establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with co-workers, agency staff, and external contacts.
·Thrive in an environment driven by change and improvement, and adapt effectively to changing requirements.
·Work effectively in a professional team environment.