Investment Officer - Real Assets
Founded in 1997, Gresham Partners, LLC is an $8+ billion Chicago-based wealth management firm serving a select group of ultra-high net-worth families across the country. The firm is known for its independent thinking, investment approach and performance results. Based in Chicago’s loop, we have 60+ team members dedicated to serving approximately 120 families.
This role will work on the private market team with a focus on real asset investments. We are seeking an experienced individual who has significant investment management experience, including manager sourcing and/or direct investment experience. Many of Gresham’s investments are less conventional, have smaller asset or capital bases, and target out of favor sectors and/or strategies. Deep sourcing networks are required to identify these managers and investments, as they are often not found in common databases, and creative analytical capabilities are essential to evaluating and monitoring the investments.
This role will have responsibility for identifying investment opportunities, sourcing, and evaluating external managers, often through a deep analysis of underlying investments, and evaluating co-investments. They will work collaboratively with other members of the investment team to make recommendations on retaining new managers, resizing, or terminating existing managers, adding new managers or investments, and building a cohesive portfolio. They will contribute to identifying and analyzing the firm’s broader investment themes that influence client allocations. They will also be expected to support the broader business and its growth in conjunction with our client service and business development teams.
- Conduct thorough due diligence on prospective investment opportunities including analysis of investment strategy, process, organization, and performance.
- Work in conjunction with other investment team members, including the Chief Investment Officer and Senior Portfolio Manager to make investment recommendations on prospective and current investment manager allocations. While quantitative techniques are utilized, evaluation is often performed by assessing underlying investments to reach conclusions based on facts rather than simply relying on historical investment performance.
- Monitor investment performance, corporate events affecting underlying portfolio investments and organizational changes of the firm’s existing investment managers, and complete analytical reviews to evaluate the relative performance of each fund manager on a regular basis.
- Structure and negotiate the terms of investments. Work with the investment operations group, outside counsel, and external ODD consultant where appropriate to evaluate operations and legal contracts with investment managers.
- Contribute to the identification and evaluation of significant investment themes that influence client asset allocation decisions. Often these themes will be generated on a bottoms-up analysis through conversation with managers and other outside parties.
- Write and/or contribute to regular client investment updates, including Gresham’s Annual Outlook, Mid-Year Updates and investment updates to clients and prospects.
- Support our client service and business development teams as needed.
The candidate should be highly motivated, regularly seek external information to inform opinions and work well in a team environment.
- Proven ability to think independently and creatively, explore themes and identify investments which possess an opportunistic (non-benchmark) approach operating in less efficient areas of the capital markets.
- Maintain a network with the outside investment community to expand the firm’s knowledge regarding investment opportunities and serve as a source for manager evaluation and reference checks.
- Proven ability to reach sound judgements on the relative risks and merits on a wide range of investment opportunities.
- Team oriented, demonstrating ability to work with other members of the client service and investment teams to deliver the appropriate solutions to clients.
- Ability to portray Gresham as a desired investor to top tier investment managers.
- Good written and oral communication skills and an ability to convey complex ideas and solutions to clients and others with varying levels of sophistication.
- Strong analytical skills.
Education, Experience and Skills:
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in the financial services industry, with meaningful time spent as an asset allocator or direct investor in the real asset space.
- Strong academic credentials: MBA and CFA or similar professional designations are high desirable.
- Ability to live and work in the U.S. is required as Gresham Partners is not able to sponsor Visas for this position.
- Gresham Partners requires all employees to be vaccinated unless applicable Medical / Religious Exemption is met