Sr. Portfolio Manager 2, SMID Growth
We exist to help people achieve financial clarity. At Thrivent, we believe money is a tool, not a goal. Driven by a higher purpose at our core, we are committed to providing financial advice, investments, insurance, banking and generosity programs to help people make the most of all they’ve been given.
At our heart, we are a membership-owned fraternal organization, as well as a holistic financial services organization, dedicated to serving the unique needs of our clients. We focus on their goals and priorities, guiding them toward financial choices that will help them live the life they want today—and tomorrow.
Investments managed by Thrivent Funds & Thrivent Asset Management consist of equity and fixed income funds, sector, global and international funds, hybrid asset allocation funds, private equity, and real estate. Assets are managed on behalf of Thrivent Funds, Thrivent’s general account, separate accounts, and other institutional portfolios. Thrivent’s public equity portfolios are approximately $32 billion AUM and consist of small, mid, and large cap portfolios (Value, Core, Growth) as well as global, international, emerging markets, ESG, and asset allocation strategies.
We are seeking a Portfolio Manager for the firm’s SMID growth investment team. The successful candidate will be joining an existing PM team which currently manages the firm’s small and mid-cap growth equity portfolios. Candidate should have eight years of equity experience preferably in the SMID growth universe. Strong investment process, ability to work within a team structure, and consistent, excellent performance are critical criteria. MBA/CFA preferred
**Minneapolis, MN is the preferred location but is not required.
- Present a fundamentally driven investment process to systematically identify growth investment opportunities while adhering to the firm’s portfolio management and risk management practices.
- Follow and understand drivers of competitive position of companies. Identify sources and sustainability of competitive advantage. Understand the drivers of sustainable growth within assigned industries. Critically assess the strategies of company management and the implications for stock price performance. Understand the impact of external forces – regulation, economic activity, raw materials, labor, technological change, etc. Understand industry-specific financial statement reporting issues.
- Work with analysts to develop an analytical framework designed to systematically identify risks and opportunities in SMID growth universe. Identify and weight the importance of key factors in at least three areas: valuation, operating performance, and catalyst/sentiment.
- Assess and communicate concisely the critical variables that will determine a company’s success or failure, in a manner that stimulates action.
- Initiate and conduct proprietary research on industries and companies including: analyzing and projecting financial statements, interviewing internal and external analysts, industry experts and company managements. Identify key drivers of company operating performance and develop non-consensus viewpoints.
- Work with analysts to project financial statements, operating and valuation targets. Monitor assigned companies and constantly reassess investment merits.
- Become interchangeable with the Lead Portfolio Managers. In the absence of the Lead PM, effectively manage the portfolios.
Attributes of Success
- Stock-selection decisions that consistently add value versus benchmarks and quantitative models.
- Small or mid-cap experience is preferred as well as exposure to multiple industries particularly Healthcare.
- A demonstrated track record of success versus relevant benchmarks.
- A passion for excellence, an ability to admit mistakes and learn from them, and a willingness to modify the related investment framework to avoid them in the future.
- Contribute to portfolio risk management decisions and process.
- Provide feedback to investment staff on ways to improve team process.
- Use all available technological resources to maximize efficiency.
**If you are interested in this role, please send your resume directly to Toni Barnum at Stone Murphy Executive Search (firstname.lastname@example.org).