Investment Product Manager, Mutual Funds
The Morningstar Investment Management group consists of our investment advice, consulting, and retirement-solutions businesses. Through our investment advisory subsidiaries, we use our expertise in asset allocation, manager research, and portfolio construction to create innovative investment solutions for institutions, advisors, and their clients.
As an Investment Product you will be lead Product Management and Development efforts for the assigned product suite. Working cross-functionally across Morningstar to ensure we are offering best-in-class products.
The Investment Product Manager leads investment product management for our multi-asset managed portfolio strategies including risk-based and outcome-based strategies. As product manager, you will own the product roadmap for our multi-asset strategies, lead the development of new product enhancements/features, and work with Investments, Operations, Technology, Compliance, Marketing, Sales, and Account Management to execute the strategy. The ideal candidate will identify and empathize with clients’ needs, understand the market demand and requirements, the competitive landscape and revenue impact/opportunities, serve as a subject matter expert on our multi-asset strategies both internally and externally, and will continuously find ways to enhance the products by working cross-functionally with the various stakeholders and support teams. This role reports to the Director of Investment Product Management and is located in our Chicago office.
- Own the development, lifecycle management including enhancements, extension and rationalization of our 1940 Act mutual funds
- Develop committee proposals for new investment products as well as for enhancements, extension and rationalization of existing products
- Lead investment product development and cross-functional launch efforts by following our product launch playbook
- Develop investment product positioning content as well as working with internal parties to ensure representation of the multi-asset managed portfolio strategies is accurate and compelling
- Answer product inquiries, assist in crafting and creating investment product messaging and positioning using deep analytical and competitive intelligence
- Identify resources and collect information to research and analyze all aspects of competitor products, peer performance and competitive industry landscape, and then use that intelligence to support messaging
- Proactively identify product innovation and existing product positioning opportunities based on industry trends, current market environment and competitive advantages to meet customer needs
- Perform analysis on key performance indicators (KPIs) and measurements of product success (product revenue, product profitability, customer satisfaction, quality, cost implications, forecasts, etc.) to inform product design
- Minimum 7-10 years investment product development/management experience with deep understanding of all aspects of product development, positioning, and implementation within a financial services environment
- Experience creating materials for and presenting to Fund Boards
- Experience handling annual regulatory reporting such at 15c
- Demonstrated proficiency in interpreting and applying market and analytical research required
- Highly effective communicator with excellent writing, presentation, and interpersonal skills. Ability to articulate complex investment topics
- Knowledge of advisor channels, primarily independent RIAs and Broker/Dealers; experience working with the financial advisor community and/or managed account platforms a plus
- Proven track record of leading large, cross-functional projects or initiatives
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills including demonstrated experience with research, data gathering and ability to think strategically
- Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills, with a proven ability to collaborate with diverse, multi-functional teams
- Bachelor’s degree required; MBA preferred, CFA designation a plus