Performance & Fund Accounting Associate
Stanford Management Company (SMC), the University’s investment office, invests the Merged Pool, which includes substantially all of the University’s investable endowment assets. The investment portfolio is designed with the dual goals of preserving the purchasing power of the Endowment for future generations of Stanford students and scholars and enabling a robust annual disbursement to the University’s operating budget. SMC primarily relies on carefully chosen external partners to select individual securities, allowing Stanford to benefit from specialized knowledge in asset classes that reward superior active management.
SMC is seeking an organized and detail-oriented Performance and Fund Accounting Associate who will report to the Managing Director of Investment Operations. This position will perform rigorous performance analysis, play an integral part of administering the information flow of SMC’s external managers and provide timely and accurate investment information to the investment team. The ideal candidate is highly productive and efficient with strong communication and problem-solving skills.
- Process, review and analyze investment valuations and transactions. Perform complex reconciliations to ensure consistency with custodian records. Monitor all investment approvals and activity and serve as the primary interface with internal and external parties to ensure that all activity is properly executed and accurately recorded. Work closely with investment and legal teams to onboard new investments. Ensure investments are accurately set up in custodian’s and Stanford’s systems. Calculate, analyze, and publish performance results for marketable and non-marketable investments, ensuring compliance with industry standards, to provide constituents with relevant, accurate and consistent information for investment oversight and decision making. Create effective, relevant, and focused management reports and dashboards. Produce daily asset allocation reporting, explaining key fluctuations and changes for use by investment team. Prepare ad-hoc analyses and reports as required. Conduct research, and design solutions in performance measurement, attribution, and analytics. Maintain the integrity of accounting and investment data for Merged Pool. Maintain strong control environment by complying with established policies and controls. Recommend process and control improvements as needed. Work closely with brokers, custodian bank, auditors, consultants, software and data providers and other external service providers to identify and resolve issues. Create business requirements for building custom performance reports, working closely with IT team, and lead user acceptance testing.
- Work closely with investment team and other teams across SMC and the University.
Education & Experience:
Bachelor’s degree and two years of investment operations experience or combination of education and relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Advanced proficiency in business applications, such as Microsoft Office suite, especially Excel.
- Strong financial modeling experience and proficiency in business intelligence applications to produce analysis and presentations. Demonstrated quantitative and analytical skills, including performance, attribution, and financial analysis. Experience using Bloomberg terminal. Experience with performance and attribution systems. Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with accounting systems. Understanding of and ability to apply accounting skills and concepts and knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles. Strong professional communication skills, including ability to prepare materials for and clearly and effectively communicate information to internal and external audiences, client groups, and management.
- Strong project management skills and demonstrated initiative with strong attention to detail.
Why Stanford is for You
Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. We are a collaborative environment that thrives on innovation and continuous improvement. We seek talent committed to excellence, driven to impact the future of our legacy, and improve lives on a global sphere. We provide competitive salaries, excellent health care and retirement plans, and a generous vacation policy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. Take advantage of career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or leader discuss global issues.
- A caring culture. We understand the importance of your personal and family time and provide you access to wellness programs, child-care resources, parent education and consultation, elder care and caregiving support.
- A healthier you. We make wellness a priority by providing access to world-class exercise facilities. Climb our rock wall, or participate in one of hundreds of health or fitness classes.
- Discovery and fun. Visit campus gardens, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. We offer free commuter programs and ridesharing incentives. Enjoy discounts for computers, cell phones, recreation, travel, entertainment, and more!
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Stanford is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.