Associate Portfolio Manager - ESG
We exist to help people achieve financial clarity. At Thrivent, we believe money is a tool, not a goal. Driven by a higher purpose at our core, we are committed to providing financial advice, investments, insurance, banking and generosity programs to help people make the most of all they’ve been given.
At our heart, we are a membership-owned fraternal organization, as well as a holistic financial services organization, dedicated to serving the unique needs of our clients. We focus on their goals and priorities, guiding them toward financial choices that will help them live the life they want today—and tomorrow.
At Thrivent Asset Management our clients trust us to manage $189B in assets. This trust necessitates the responsibility to generate strong risk adjusted returns that help our clients achieve their goals. To meet this responsibility, we have made a commitment to attract high caliber people that care deeply about this mission. The commitment to our people and our clients has resulted in strong long-term performance from our investment products. This performance has been recognized by 29 Lipper Awards since 2008 and a top ten Best Fund Family Category ranking from Barron’s in 2021.
We are looking for an Associate Portfolio Manager to help open and manage our new Smid Cap ESG Fund. This position will play a critical role in all aspects of fund launch, portfolio management, company research & engagement, communication with stakeholders, and Thrivent Asset Management’s ESG roadmap. The Smid Cap ESG Fund will invest in companies that are able to sustainably serve primary stakeholders while also driving strong financial returns for our clients. If you believe you can help us achieve these goals, we can’t wait to hear from you.
The successful candidate will:
- Exhibit a passion for ESG investing and generating strong financial returns for our clients.
- Contribute diverse perspectives, original viewpoints, and curiosity to tackle new topics.
- Bring a commitment to constant improvement to help our team grow and improve.
- Demonstrate the ability and willingness to identify and evaluate complex ESG issues and topics that may impact a company’s future success and the ability to translate these factors into the investment thesis and fundamental research.
- Identify the policies, procedures, and attributes a company should have in place to sustainably serve all primary stakeholders in their business ecosystem.
- Familiarity and a willingness to learn current and future ESG tools and frameworks and the ability to help formulate our own proprietary ESG tools and frameworks.
Attributes of Success in the Role
- Stock-selection decisions that consistently add value versus traditional and ESG benchmarks.
- A passion for constant improvement, an ability to admit mistakes and learn from them, and a willingness to modify the related investment framework or tools to avoid them in the future.
- Project financial statements and valuation targets. Monitor assigned companies and constantly reassess investment merits.
- Use all available technological resources to maximize efficiency.
Required Job Qualifications
- Undergraduate degree required; MBA and/or CFA preferred.
- Minimum five years of sell- or buy-side equity research/portfolio management experience preferred but not required.
- ESG/Sustainability work experience and/or education preferred.
- Working well with team members to raise the overall performance of the team.
- This position is eligible for relocation.
- This position allows a flexible work arrangement meaning you may work on-site and/or remotely from the Minneapolis, MN area.
Thrivent provides Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability, marital status, citizenship status, military or veteran status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable local, state, or federal law. This policy applies to all employees and job applicants.
Thrivent is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation, please let us know by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800-847-4836 and request Human Resources.