Index New Product Development Research Sr Associate
MSCI is a market leader in Global Indexes, Smart Beta, ESG and Risk Management, and is at the forefront of the secular trends dominating the financial services landscape today. We are committed to the future sustainability and transparency of the financial markets. We create innovative products and services that allow our clients to make more informed investment decisions, and we provide investors with critical performance measurement and risk management data and analytics. Click here to see what we do (link to MSCI brochure) https://www.msci.com/who-we-are/about-us
Our values define the working environment we strive to create. We are inclusive, we champion bold ideas, we always pursue excellence, and always act with integrity. Personal accountability and responsibility are key to success, and we always work as a team to remain client centric.
MSCI is committed to developing a culture and workforce that reflects the clients and communities in which we operate. Increasing our diversity expands our talent pool which helps to accelerate innovation in all we do. We especially encourage members of historically underrepresented groups to apply, including women, ethnic minorities and those in the LGBTQ community
The MSCI Index Research New Product Development (NPD) Team is a global client-centric research group with a broad mandate to carry out analytical research to enhance existing MSCI indexes and develop new index methodologies. This responsibility spans across all MSCI Factor, Thematic, Cap-weighted and ESG & Climate Indexes in different asset classes. The team currently has presence in London, Mumbai, Manila, Monterrey and Toronto
The Index Research NPD group uses a range of analytical tools and methods to investigate new index ideas across asset classes, carry out research and simulations to turn these ideas into new methodologies, conduct client consultations, and launch new indexes through MSCI’s world class index production platform.
The group works closely with other groups within research (Analytics, ESG) and across the firm (data, technology, product, coverage) to implement the NPD index research agenda and benefit from the substantial resources and expertise available within the global MSCI organization.
Your key responsibilities
• The successful candidate will be a member of the team based in Monterrey and be expected to drive new index research projects from initial concept through research, development, consultation and successful production implementation.
• This person will carry out extensive back testing, research and analysis of investment strategies using historical market data, factor models, ESG & Climate characteristics and portfolio construction tools to build new indexes and generate investment insights.
• Will work on Research projects that include Factor investing, thematic investing, integration of ESG/Climate considerations in the investment process and conduct in-depth research and analysis to generate investment ideas for investment strategies.
• Will work with other members of the global research teams to write research papers and blogs on investment strategies
• The candidate will also work closely with clients to refine new index ideas, so they meet the clients’ investment challenges.
• Understanding of investment process in different asset classes (e.g. equity, fixed income, currency etc.), investment styles such as factor investing, ESG-based investments and thematic investing etc. Familiarity with quantitative investment approaches such as portfolio optimization, long/short, leveraged positions etc. is a plus.
• At least 5 years of relevant work experience e.g., quantitative research, investment management, portfolio analytics etc.)
• Bachelor’s/Master's Degree in economics, science/engineering or another highly quantitative subject
• CFA, CAIA or FRM is an advantage
• Excellent English communication and writing skills
• Highly developed hands-on analytical and quantitative skills (e.g., time series and cross-sectional analysis) and extensive recent practical experience with statistical and database packages (preferably Python, MATLAB, SQL). Hands-on experience with NLP models and other machine learning models will be an advantage
• Familiarity with institutional investment practices, buyside portfolio management concepts or sell side quantitative structured products
• Experience of writing technical and research reports
• Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills