Investment Analyst - Private Equity
Please note that this position is open until filled.
Candidates for this role are being reviewed as they apply.
The Teachers’ Retirement System of the State of Illinois, with $63.7 billion in assets, is searching for an Investment Analyst – Private Equity, to join this statewide, public retirement system. Located in Springfield, IL, TRS is one of the 30 largest public pension plans in the country. The System provides benefits to teachers employed by all Illinois public, common, and charter school districts located outside the city of Chicago. The Illinois Pension Code contains the laws relating to our creation, benefits, and administration.
Working for the Teachers’ Retirement System is a fantastic opportunity for an investment professional looking make a significant, positive difference in the lives of others by building a secure future for the teachers of Illinois. We take great pride knowing that all the work we do is for the benefit of our membership.
TRS is in search of a passionate, resourceful Investment Analyst to support our Private Equity asset class. Preferred candidates have experience working with Private Equity assets.
Incumbents that would be most successful in this role are skilled at conducting thorough analyses to validate or invalidate hypotheses related to investment performance. It is essential that candidates for this position are professional and able to work effectively with senior investment staff to produce quantifiable recommendations supported by conducted research. This asset class is targeted at 16% of the total TRS portfolio, with over $10 billion in current market value. The ability to assist in managing the existing portfolio, as well as sourcing and due diligence of new relationships is critical to the role.
- Assist Investment Officers and TRS leadership on the due diligence of prospective investment managers, as well as monitoring the portfolios and performance of existing relationships.
- Work with investment and risk teams to analyze investment portfolio performance, attribution, and risk reports
- Evaluate performance and portfolio characteristics to assure compliance with the directives of the Trustees regarding investment objectives and constraints
- Manage the potential investment manager search process by certifying that all proper search related milestones are followed, all contractual agreements are in place and all funding directives occur
- Assist in the research of the System’s existing asset allocation and specific asset class structures, with a focus on optimizing the portfolio’s risk/return profile
- Prepare statistical and narrative reports related to the TRS portfolio
- Evaluate markets and industry trends to provide relevant observations to investment team.
- Assist investment staff in negotiating and interacting at critical levels with external investment managers, consultants, and legal counsel
- Assist TRS investment accounting and custodian with all steps related to initial investment manager account set-up and ongoing performance calculations, fee assessments, and other related projects
- Research investment approaches, asset mixes, and portfolio management techniques to provide for incremental return to TRS’s individual assets and at the total fund level
- Perform other duties as assigned
- A bachelor’s degree in finance, economics, accounting or business administration, or quantitative fields such as statistics, mathematics, or engineering, is required.
- Upon employment, credible progress toward earning the CFA charter is encouraged.
- State health, dental, life, and vision insurance
- 12 vacation, 12 sick, and 3 personal time days of compensated time
- Teachers’ Retirement System pension
- Deferred compensation plan
TRS is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
If you require a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) throughout the recruitment process, please reach out to us at the following email: Careers@trsil.org.