Associate Director/Director, Private Wealth
We have a lot to be proud of at Nicola Wealth. Our sophisticated financial planning, our diversified private investment funds and their exceptional performance, our 99% client retention rate and our award-winning culture, combine to position us as a national leader in wealth management. Recognized as a Best Managed Company and one of Canada’s Top Employers, we are dedicated to upholding our firm’s values through this phase of significant growth.
By bringing together smart, dedicated and supportive colleagues from diverse backgrounds, we deliver extraordinary client service in values-driven work environment. The collaboration, creativity and entrepreneurial spirit we were founded on provides the opportunity for you to make a real impact and build a rewarding career. We are passionate about our business, our culture and investing deeply in your growth and development to build for the future. If you have this same drive, then let’s talk!
About Nicola Private Debt
The Nicola Private Debt Fund (the “Fund”) combines corporate direct lending, co-investing and fund-of-funds investing to target an attractive premium above public market fixed income yields and returns.
We invest in a variety of North American private debt strategies across the risk spectrum including Canadian mid-market direct lending, US mid-market direct lending, US broadly syndicated loans, mezzanine debt, special situations, venture debt, and opportunistic credit among others. Our growing direct lending mandate is focused on lending to mature and profitable mid-market companies primarily in Canada that require secured senior or junior debt financing for growth, acquisitions, or ownership transition. Typical hold size for a direct loan or co-investment in the Fund ranges between $10 and $30 million.
As of December 31, 2021 the Fund’s assets under management reached $578 million. The Nicola Private Debt Fund is part of the Nicola Wealth Private Capital Group which manages over $2 billion in assets across Private Debt, Private Equity, Infrastructure and Commercial Mortgages. Nicola Wealth as a firm manages over $11 billion of assets across public and private markets on behalf of its clients.
We are seeking a highly motivated individual with a commitment to excellence and experience in credit origination, relationship management and underwriting to join our growing private debt team.
Reporting to the Senior Director & Head of Private Debt, the Associate Director / Director, Private Debt will play a key role in sourcing new credit opportunities and growing our market presence in Eastern Canada as a leading private lender. In addition, the Associate Director / Director, Private Debt will assist in underwriting new investment opportunities (direct, co-invest and funds), mentoring junior team members, monitoring the portfolio and maintaining strong relationships with key partners.
As the Associate Director / Director, Private Debt, your key accountabilities will involve:
- Direct origination and sourcing of new debt investment opportunities in Eastern Canada
- Building our market presence as a leading direct lender in Eastern Canada
- Developing and maintaining effective relationships with key market participants and other lenders in Eastern Canada
- Developing and maintaining effective relationships with Borrowers, existing GP partners and potential GP partners across North America
- Idea generation to advance the objectives of the Fund
- Evaluating and screening new debt investment opportunities across North America
- Active leadership of junior team members through completion of due diligence on new investments, including:
- Financial statement review
- Borrower, industry, structure and portfolio risk analysis
- Detailed financial model review and analysis
- Detailed documentation review, including credit agreements, key contracts, external reports
- Working with key advisors (legal, tax etc.)
- Reviewing work prepared by junior team members and providing coaching/mentoring
- Monitoring the performance of investments in the Fund
- Actively engaging in ongoing learning and development to continuously improve skills and knowledge
- You have a passion for credit investing and doing deals.
- You have a good understanding of North American private credit markets.
- You are entrepreneurial, proactive and thrive in a high growth fast paced environment.
- You have a professional demeanor with the ability to build trust with our people and partners.
- You are collaborative and team focused, with the ability to function in a team.
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- You have well-developed organizational and time management skills.
- You are calm and collaborative under pressure.
As the Associate Director / Director, Private Debt, your experience and qualifications will include:
- A minimum of 6 years experience in leveraged finance, private debt, commercial credit, corporate credit and/or mezzanine debt at a financial institution, private credit fund or pension fund
- Undergraduate or Graduate degree in business/accounting/finance
- Proven ability to originate credit opportunities
- Proven ability to manage and maintain relationships with market participants in Eastern Canada
- Proven credit due diligence and underwriting skills
- Strong knowledge of loan documentation
- Past experience managing junior team members is considered an asset
- Past experience in credit risk management is considered an asset
- Ability to function in a team environment
- CFA, CA, CPA, MBA, or CBV considered an asset
- You are legally eligible to work in Canada for any employer
- You are willing to travel in North America post-COVID
- The successful candidate’s title and compensation will be commensurate with experience
Please apply via this link: https://grnh.se/2d061cea2us
Please include both cover letter and resume in your application. Thank you for your interest in this position. We are an inclusive equal opportunity employer. For more information about this and other roles: nicolawealth.com/careers