At Securian Asset Management, we’re committed to delivering solutions that help our clients achieve their goals from a position of strength. Both Securian Financial and Securian Asset Management are signers of the Principles for Responsible Investment, reflecting our commitment to supporting balanced and sustainable growth. The rapid evolution of ESG (environmental, social & governance) data on investment platforms has raised the bar to tie ESG claims to investment decisions and performance. This position is accountable for helping to formalize and expand our approach using both qualitative and quantitative frameworks while embracing transparency. This analyst will play a key role in coordinating and communicating our response to the evolving sustainable investment landscape. If you have a passion for positive change in the world, strong critical thinking skills, and a commitment to pragmatic, real world progress, this position might be right for you.
Responsibilities include but not limited to:
Support development of strategy-level frameworks, including both qualitative and quantitative approaches.
- Partner with strategy teams to coordinate ESG research process improvements, ensuring authenticity and consistency with overall ESG philosophy, goals and SFG CSR priorities.
- Identify and document ESG risks and mitigants, affirmative opportunities, and “values toolkit” for each strategy.
- Support and interpret carbon foot printing analysis.
- Deliver level-setting, historical context, and proof statements that leverage income, return and market data.
- Develop tools to quantify the trade-offs associated with the “values toolkit”.
Support transparency initiatives around ESG risks, opportunities, and reputational concerns through the development of enterprise- and strategy-level reporting.
- Ensure captured data addresses wide-ranging stakeholder needs.
- Coordinate oversight reporting.
Support development of strategy- and firm-2-yr plans to ensure clear progress as outlined by SecAm and SFG ESG statements and the annual CIO update.
- Act as technical resource for ESG frameworks including the PRI, TCFD, EU Taxonomy, ICMA green bond, A4S, and rating agencies including Sustainalytics
- Propose KPIs/proof statements and support portfolio management initiatives.
Monitor market trends and peer group developments, and support evaluation of third-party data providers.
- Liaison to Zero Emissions and CSR working groups.
- Strong academic credentials along with critical thinking and quantitative analysis skills.
- Demonstrated creativity in using data analysis to reveal insights and inform disciplined decisions.
- The ability to make objective recommendations and defend viewpoints along with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- A willingness to further investment knowledge through formal training if not a current investment professional.
- A passion for positive change in the world and a commitment to pragmatic, real world progress.
- A four-year degree in math, statistics, computer science, economics, or finance.
- Master’s degree or CFA, preferred
- Python, Bloomberg, FactSet, Tableau or other analytical tools.
- A broad understanding of financial markets and risk models.
- 4+ years of success in an analytical position, preferably in an investment role
Physical Job Requirements:
- Ability to utilize keyboard, mouse, and computer for up to 8 hours per day
- Ability to work at least 40 hours per week
- Ability to utilize telephone for 2-4 hours per day
- Ability to meet the physical demands of travel
The physical job requirements described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of jobs.