POSITION: INVESTMENT ASSOCIATE
As a result of substantial growth, Westerkirk Capital, a private investment company based in Victoria, BC is seeking an Investment Associate. This role is multi-faceted, covering middle and front office responsibilities, with a key focus on investment operations. Candidates will have a strong passion for investing and a desire to play a key role in the operations and ongoing supervision of investment portfolios. The organization is a single-family office investment enterprise managing assets via internal direct and third-party/external managers across a variety of portfolios and asset classes, including fixed income, public equity, private equity, hedge funds, infrastructure, and real estate. This broad and hands-on role is an opportunity to work in an entrepreneurial, team-focused environment with seasoned professionals. The successful candidate will thrive in a dynamic environment with changing priorities and is a self-starter who takes initiative on major projects and processes. We seek team members who have a long-term focus and whose values align with our culture: Entrepreneurial, Collaborative, and Disciplined.
With oversight by the Portfolio Manager, key areas of responsibility include account opening & funding, legal documentation, trading, compliance, first-level external manager communications, investment analysis, and portfolio monitoring. The Investment Associate will:
- Support trade settlement, capital call/distribution and life-cycle management across directly managed equities and third-party Private Funds.
- Communicate with counterparties and custodians on trade information flow, including activity across custodian clearinghouses to ensure timely and proper trade settlement and reporting.
- Assist in liquidity management, reconciliation of cash balances across accounts and generate reports for the investment team.
- Collaborate with investment accounting team on compiling position reports.
- Coordinate onboarding and KYC process with counterparties in conjunction with Legal and Finance team.
- Participate in the ongoing management and monitoring of both financial and operational aspects of existing and new investments.
- Manage existing custodian relationships, ensuring timely and accurate information collection & reporting.
- Assist with compliance review, IM/custodian billing, and act as the/a key operations liaison with third-party providers.
- Fulfill internal and external client service needs as required for transactions and other investment operations.
- Respond quickly, accurately, and professionally to periodic client service requests.
- Work collaboratively with internal team members and external service providers across Legal, IT, Finance, Accounting and Tax to achieve client portfolio goals.
- Participate actively with the team on projects and other duties as assigned from time-to-time while being sensitive to changing business environment, client requirements, and firm priorities.
- Assist with presentations, investment recommendations, reporting, and risk management of portfolio, as required.
- Stay abreast of industry trends and work proactively to improve operational processes.
The ideal candidate will have previous back and/or middle-office experience at an investment management or wealth management firm and will be comfortable with a hands-on role demanding high attention to detail and daily operational deadlines.
This position offers excellent opportunities in a dynamic environment. To qualify, candidates must have:
- Bachelor's Degree in Business, Finance, or related field.
- Minimum 5 years of investment industry experience/knowledge gained at a bank, brokerage firm, or wealth management firm dealing with institutional and/or high net worth clients in a discretionary management setting and/or direct experience in dealing with securities held in custody at external financial institutions.
- A record of thorough and meticulous work with a focus on details.
- Demonstrated initiative, independently driven and very detail oriented.
- One or more of CPA/CIM/CFA designations preferred, or significant progress towards completion.
- Advanced knowledge of all Microsoft Office applications (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook).
Given the private and confidential nature of the work, we do not maintain a company website. More information about the firm will be shared as we contact short-listed candidates.