Fixed Income Analyst - Non-IG Corporate Credit / High Yield
Thornburg Investment Management is a privately-owned global investment firm that offers a range of multi-strategy solutions for institutions and financial advisors. A recognized leader in equity, fixed income, and alternatives investing, the firm oversees $48.2 billion as of September 30, 2021 across mutual funds, institutional accounts, separate accounts for high-net-worth investors, and UCITS funds for non-U.S. investors. Thornburg was founded in 1982 and is headquartered in Santa Fe, New Mexico.
At Thornburg, we believe unconstrained investing leads to better outcomes for our clients. Our culture is collaborative, and hierarchy is intentionally flat. Our investment solutions are highly active, high conviction, and benchmark agnostic. When it comes to finding value for our clients, it’s more than what we do, it’s how we do it: how we think, how we invest, and how we’re structured.
Thornburg is a global business and we think without boundaries. The ability to work effectively across team and levels at the organization is essential for success. Excellent instincts, strong interpersonal skills, as well as being a true team player and effective consensus builder are key characteristics of those who thrive at Thornburg Investment Management.
PRIMARY JOB FUNCTION:
Analysts at Thornburg are expected to investigate and provide fundamental analysis for new and existing positions, leading to well-formulated theses and recommendations to portfolio teams. Analysts are also responsible for ongoing monitoring of information which may impact the value of investments, and for proactively communicating key insights and conclusions to all team members through written and oral communications. Analysts are expected to contribute to the success of all Thornburg investment strategies, which requires the ability to identify investment opportunities across sectors, geographies, and investment styles.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Recommend fixed income securities, particularly non-investment grade/high yield corporate credit, for investment across Thornburg fixed income and multi-asset portfolios. Analysts will use their finance, accounting, economic and other skills to identify, analyze and create investment arguments based on an investment’s fundamentals and relative value proposition.
• Effectively communicate investment recommendations and broader economic, sector or portfolio thoughts to the entire team both written and orally.
• Monitor individual securities on an ongoing basis. Deliver timely and thorough updates.
• Serve in a global generalist capacity, with coverage responsibilities spanning geographies and industries, as well as asset sectors as needed.
• Perform other job duties assigned as necessary
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE AND FORMAL REQUIREMENTS:
• Bachelor’s Degree required. Advanced degree and/or progress toward CFA is preferred.
• Experience analyzing non-investment grade/high yield corporate credit such as bonds and bank loans is highly preferred. Differentiated credit backgrounds such as private credit or distressed credit are desired.
• 2+ years of experience as a buyside or sellside fixed income research analyst, or
• 2+ years of experience in investment banking, private equity, consulting, or a similar field.
• Strong analytical skills including financial, accounting, economic and ESG knowledge
• Will need to obtain Series 7 & 63 within 12 months if not currently licensed.
THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE WILL:
• Demonstrate respect of all employees
• Have a passion for investing and a broad intellectual curiosity
• Have intellectual flexibility and nimbleness
• Possess ability to respectfully debate ideas
• Have a high level of accountability
• Demonstrate a desire to win as a team more than as an individual. Support and collaborate with team members.
• Possess ability and wiliness to share thoughts with the broad team and engage with other departments
• Will be seen as a positive role model
• Ability to work at a computer for extended periods of time.
Santa Fe is the capital of New Mexico. Founded in 1610 and nicknamed "The City Different," Santa Fe captures hearts and minds with its museums, restaurants, theater, opera, and adobe-style architecture. With an average of over 300 sunny days per year and picturesque landscape, it's no wonder that outdoor activities such as skiing and hiking in "The Land of Enchantment" attract visitors from around the world.
Thornburg believes that diversity and inclusivity are vital to positive long-term success for our strategies and the firm's broader business outcomes. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applications receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status. The firm provides annual progress reports to the investment management team, shareholders, and executive management to highlight multiple diversity and inclusivity metrics and continually work to bring awareness to the importance of this issue.