Consultant, Senior Manager, Investments
1. BACKGROUND AND INTRODUCTION
Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance is a public-private partnership committed to saving children's lives and protecting people's health by increasing equitable use of vaccines in lower-income countries. The Vaccine Alliance brings together developing country and donor governments, the World Health Organization, UNICEF, the World Bank, the vaccine industry, technical agencies, civil society, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and other private sector partners. Gavi uses innovative finance mechanisms, including co-financing by recipient countries, to secure sustainable funding and adequate supply of quality vaccines. Since 2000, Gavi has contributed to the immunisation of nearly 822 million children and the prevention of more than 14 million future deaths.
2. PURPOSE OF THE OPPORTUNITY
The purpose of the opportunity is to provide due diligence and monitoring support to the Gavi Investments team. The Consultant will also be responsible for conducting market research for framing strategic competencies of prospective and existing investment managers. The Consultant will be responsible for preparing presentation materials for key meetings.
2.1 MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The main duties and responsibilities of the Consultants shall include:
- Contribute research of key market themes that will serve as the foundation for essential communication points in the Investment Committee and Board reports and presentations.
- Develop materials to convey key messages and draft reports for Investment Committee and Board meetings.
- Conduct due diligence meetings of assigned prospective and current investment managers. Document findings and deliver written analysis.
- Prepare cogent recommendations for hiring or terminating investment managers as assigned.
- Lead 2021 annual risk assessment of Gavi’s investment managers and related written reports.
- Contribute to partnership with key vendors.
- Any other projects as assigned by the Chief Investment Officer.
Note: The essential functions listed in this section are not exhaustive of the job responsibilities; other duties may be assigned consistently with the department needs.
3. LOCATION: Consultant shall be required to work in Washington DC.
4. QUALIFICATIONS AND WORK EXPERIENCE
The following qualifications and work experience are required for this position:
4.1 Academic Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree required from an accredited university, with preference for finance, economics, or international relations studies.
- Graduate degree such as a master’s in business administration or science highly desirable.
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) certification preferred.
- Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst (CAIA) certification or other professional certification is helpful.
4.2 Work experience:
- Minimum 10 years of relevant work experience in the financial services sector, a corporate or government pension plan, an international non-profit or sovereign wealth fund.
- Well-developed understanding of capital markets, portfolio management and asset allocation.
- Ability to explain technical investment concepts in a concise and effective manner.
- Conversant in sustainable investment trends and reporting.
- Highly developed analytical, problem-solving and research skills.
- Excellent communications skills required, including excellent data visualization, effective writing, and presentation skills.
- Ability to think and work independently and to meet tight deadlines.
- High proficiency in MS Office, with strengths in PowerPoint and Excel.
- High proficiency with Bloomberg.
- Capable self-starter with the ability to work remotely and independently
- Promotes sharing of information and cross-team work
- Transform data into insights for key stakeholders.
- Integrity and work ethic.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Working knowledge of French is a plus.
5.0 KEY STAKEHOLDERS
The key stakeholders for this position at Gavi are:
5.1 Internal contacts:
- Gavi Secretariat
5.2 External contacts:
- Investment managers and vendors
- Industry peers
The duration of the contract shall be six (6) months.