About the Position
As an associate consultant, you will assist the general consultants in all phases of Callan's investment consulting to asset owner clients, including strategic planning, investment implementation, performance evaluation, education, and new business development. Callan believes that our organization and culture are made stronger through diverse perspectives and experiences.
These positions are available in Callan’s Atlanta, Chicago, and Summit, NJ offices. Our day-to-day environment is changing rapidly due to COVID-19, and Callan is committed to prioritizing your safety. We are looking for a professional who is able to adapt to these changes, which means initially working remotely, moving to a hybrid work schedule, and potentially returning to the office full time.*
As an associate consultant, you will be supporting investment consultants in:
- Engage with Callan team members in investigating and developing strategic advice and asset allocation analysis for our clients
- Support the consulting team in providing guidance to our clients as they navigate financial markets and their own changing circumstances
- Draft/review statements of investment policy
- Assist consultants in monitoring existing client portfolios by understanding and reviewing quarterly performance measurement and ad-hoc reports
- Lead the production of custom quarterly executive summary reports, which are presented during client committee and board meetings
- Create detailed analysis at the total fund level, asset class level, and investment manager level
- Prepare ad-hoc client presentations as needed
- Coordinate prep meetings with consulting team to ensure all client needs are met on a timely basis
- Assist in manager/product research as needed
- Draft/review client and manager profiles for specific manager searches that are delivered to our clients as they look to add or replace a manager within their lineup
- Coordinate meetings with the team and investment managers
- Assist in creating a plan to successfully implement manager transitions
- Assist in researching special topics for general consultants and clients
- Assist in developing customized educational information and/or seminars for clients
- Provide general consultants with quarterly capital markets detail
New Business Development:
- Collaborate with Atlanta consultants and other departments to respond to requests for proposal, ensuring the delivery of high-quality, well-written responses
- Assist in general marketing efforts as needed
- Assist in researching and providing consultants with information to build a successful relationship with prospective clients
Education & Characteristics
We’re looking for a teammate who:
- Holds a bachelor’s degree or equivalent, preferably in finance, economics, or a related discipline (we are also open to those with differing backgrounds and a strong interest in financial markets)
- Is interested in becoming a CFA or CAIA Charterholder (if not yet earned) or in attaining an MBA
- Values diversity, equity, and belonging as key tenets of an impactful culture and successful business
- Has a keen and demonstrated interest in investing and following the markets
- Asks questions unabashedly and listens intently, and asks for help when needed
- Admits to not having all of the answers but is determined to do what it takes to find them
- Demonstrates passion for learning and seeking new ideas
- Enjoys working within a team to find the right solutions for clients
- Believes that acting ethically is paramount in everything you do
- Is willing to hone writing and presentation skills (and any other skills) and is open to feedback
- Understands the importance of attention to detail, strong organizational skills, prioritization of tasks, and meeting deadlines
- Acts with humility and expects to be held accountable for your work and actions alongside your team
- Maintains a sense of humor in a challenging industry while supporting the team and always putting our clients first
- Works well remotely as we navigate the continued pandemic work environment
- Seeks to constantly improve and looks for ways to create an impact and better outcomes for the organization and our clients
Compensation, Benefits & Training
At Callan, you can expect:
- A generous compensation and benefits package, including base salary, bonus, 401(k) matching, profit sharing, health/medical/dental/vision benefits, monthly communications stipend, tuition assistance, and more
- Training for all Callan databases, research, and other systems
- Access to team-building events, community outreach opportunities, and wellness events
As an employee-owned firm, Callan is committed to giving long-term successful professionals an opportunity to become equity partners.
Founded in 1973, Callan is a one of the largest employee-owned investment consulting firms in the U.S., with more than $3 trillion in assets under advisement. We provide thoughtful, research-driven advice to large institutional investors including pension and defined contribution plans, endowments, foundations, insurance companies, and health care organizations. Because we are independently owned and not beholden to outside shareholders, we help raise the industry standard by orienting everything we do around our clients’ goals.
Callan has 200 employees and is headquartered in San Francisco with five additional offices throughout the U.S.
Callan is an equal opportunity employer.
Please email a cover letter and resume referencing “Atlanta Associate Consultant” or "Chicago Associate Consultant" to email@example.com.
*Subject to applicable law, only fully vaccinated employees will be permitted to enter Callan offices, travel on company business, and attend company sponsored events. A proof of vaccination will be required upon hire.