Investment Reporting Manager
HHMI is focused on supporting and moving science forward in a variety of different ways ranging from conducting basic biomedical research, empowering educators, inspiring students, developing the next generation of scientists – even stretching into film and media production. Our Headquarters is in the greater Washington, DC metro area and is home to over 300 employees with expertise in investments, communications, digital production, biomedical sciences, and everything in between. The work housed here supports and augments the groundbreaking research conducted in HHMI labs across the nation. As HHMI scientists continue to push boundaries in laboratories and classrooms, you can be sure that your contributions while working here are making a difference.
HHMI is widely recognized as an innovative national philanthropy, the world’s foremost medical research organization, a leading light in science education, and a renowned institutional investor.
We are seeking an Investment Reporting Manager to join HHMI’s investment office, which manages an endowment with net assets of approximately $27 billion. HHMI’s endowment comprises a diverse portfolio, including investments in domestic and international publicly-traded stocks, private equity funds, venture capital funds, hedge funds, real assets and direct co-investments, government securities and other strategies spanning multiple asset classes. HHMI’s appealing 35-acre headquarters campus is located in the greater Washington, DC metro area, but this is a national search and relocation expenses would be available if applicable; furthermore, HHMI maintains a flexible/remote work policy which could be discussed with candidates during the interview process.
This is a newly-created position. As a result, the Manager will have the opportunity to shape the role, based on a mix of portfolio reporting, performance analysis and risk functions. The successful candidate will work closely with various members of the 30-person investment team to inform investment decision-making and will work across all asset classes. This position will coordinate activities related to exposure, performance and risk reporting and measurement by reviewing, analyzing, interpreting, and reconciling information from investment managers, HHMI’s custodian bank and other sources. Best-in-class software tools and technology support are available to the Manager in furtherance of these responsibilities, and the Manager will be expected to master those tools in order to optimize reporting efficiency, clarity and accuracy.
The Manager will report directly to the Managing Director - Head of Investment Operations and may supervise one or more team members.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Thrive as point person for ad hoc reports driven by the investment team’s strategic and analytical objectives through assessment of individual managers' portfolios and the overall endowment portfolio
- Assume ownership role in designing, organizing, visualizing and delivering regular reports that will be distributed internally and to the Institute’s Investment Advisory Committee (IAC), Board of Trustees, auditors and other stakeholders
- Identify, communicate and resolve errors, anomalies and significant findings in a timely and accurate manner while overseeing various reconciliation processes (e.g., investment manager reports vs. internal data)
- Partner with technology specialists to ensure the integrity of reporting and to facilitate the regular maintenance and upgrades of reporting systems
- Assist in enhancing the format and timing in which analysis/reporting is provided
- Serve as a liaison to external partners, vendors and other departments within HHMI
- Research topics of interest and undertake special projects driven by strategy and important developments in the global investment arena, contributing to a culture of intellectual curiosity, analytical rigor, and innovation
Qualifications, Experience and Education
The successful candidate will demonstrate an interest in investing and present a track record of accomplishment in their prior endeavors. We are looking for candidates who are genuinely excited about the impact that successful management of our endowment plays in supporting HHMI’s mission. If this role appeals to you, we encourage you to apply even if you are unsure about whether you meet all of the qualifications, experience or education described below.
- Seven years or more experience in related functions with a strong background in portfolio reporting and analytics, performance measurement methodologies and/or risk characteristics
- Understanding of core asset classes, alternative investments (e.g., private equity and hedge funds) and asset management generally
- Detailed knowledge of the theoretical and practical application of performance, exposure and risk measurement and of investment operations more broadly
- Direct or indirect experience with allocators such as endowment funds, funds of funds, outsourced chief investment offices (OCIO), family offices or other institutional investors
- Familiarity with and willingness to master databases, CRM software (e.g., Dynamo, Backstop, Bipsync, Salesforce), portfolio analytics applications (e.g., Caissa, Solovis, Novus, Burgiss Private Informant/Private I), Bloomberg tools, accounting and custodial platforms (e.g., Eagle Investment Systems Star/Pace, BNY Mellon Nexen)
- Superior analytical skills with advanced ability in Microsoft Excel for data reconciliation, aggregation and presentation
- Project management and employee supervisory experience
- Specialized certifications or designations such as Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), Certificate in Investment Performance Measurement (CIPM), Financial Risk Management (FRM), Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst (CAIA), Master of Business Administration (MBA), Certified Public Accountant (CPA); Bachelor’s degree or advanced degree in related field and/or other relevant specialized designation or certification
- Understanding of GIPS and/or GAAP concepts
Skills and Abilities
- Desire and ability to work independently or collectively as needed to set goals, prioritize tasks, meet objectives, take initiative, manage multiple responsibilities simultaneously, make recommendations and meet deadlines in a dynamic, changing environment
- Capability to display excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills, along with the highest level of integrity, intellectual capability, honesty, and personal responsibility
- Ability to synthesize large amounts of data in a clear and concise manner and offer unique perspective, think critically and effectively challenge others’ assumptions
- Willingness to embrace a team-oriented outlook involving collaboration and fostering effective relationships with all colleagues
- Ability to leverage technology across multiple platforms for effective communication of investment information
- Proactive and innovative problem solver demonstrating a strong work ethic, organizational skills and unwavering attention to detail
Remaining in a normal seated or standing position for extended periods of time; reaching and grasping by extending hand(s) or arm(s); dexterity to manipulate objects with fingers, for example using a keyboard; communication skills using the spoken word; ability to see and hear within normal parameters; ability to move about workspace. The position requires mobility, including the ability to move materials weighing up to several pounds (such as a laptop computer or tablet).
Persons with disabilities may be able to perform the essential duties of this position with reasonable accommodation. Requests for reasonable accommodation will be evaluated on an individual basis.
This job description sets forth the job’s principal duties, responsibilities, and requirements; it should not be construed as an exhaustive statement, however. Unless they begin with the word “may,” the Essential Duties and Responsibilities described above are “essential functions” of the job, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act.