Associate Portfolio Manager, Global Thematic
Associate Portfolio Manager, Global Thematic
British Columbia Investment Management Corporation (BCI) is one of the largest asset managers in Canada. With $199.6 billion of managed assets, BCI invests globally on behalf of public sector clients. We do fulfilling and meaningful work that makes a difference: 630,000 pension plan beneficiaries and 2.5 million British Columbian workers depend on our clients’ returns. Ensuring their continued financial security is important to us.
The people who work at BCI are committed, passionate, and approachable. They aim for continuous improvement and share BCI’s core values of clients first, performance focused, world class, accountability, transparency, and integrity.
BCI is focused on building a culture of excellence through our people practices and employee led initiatives. Being name one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers, Canada’s Top Family-Friendly Employers and BC’s Top Employers is recognition of BCI’s ongoing effort to be a progressive workplace of choice that continues to attract, retain and promote talent professionals. As an active in-house asset manager, BCI depends on the specialized skills and expertise of its people to successfully execute its world-class investment strategies and fulfill client needs.
BCI offers an exceptional opportunity to work at a world-class organization while living in a west coast setting. We are expanding our team and our skill base to equip BCI for the future.
The Public Markets Group manages a portfolio of fixed income, equity and absolute return investments representing approximately $135 billion utilizing both index and active management strategies. The Group invests in Canada, the U.S. and internationally in both the developed and emerging markets using a diverse mix of financial instruments. The Group is also a leader in Responsible Investing actively integrating environmental, social and governance factors into our investment analysis and decision-making.
The Global Thematic Portfolio is an approximately $6 billion concentrated long-only public equities portfolio and consists of seven motivated team members. The portfolio is style, sector, geography and market capitalization agnostic. Investments are made using a blend of top-down and bottom-up fundamental research to identify which companies will disproportionately benefit from long-term social, technological, economic, political and sustainability trends. The actively managed portfolio has low turnover and is primarily measured on a rolling five-year basis against the MSCI World Ex-Canada Index.
Reporting to the Managing Director, the Associate Portfolio Manager (APM) utilizes out-of-the-box thinking to identify long‑term macro trends, builds unique investment theses that benefit from those trends and reflects their long-term conviction through a set of concentrated investments. The APM’s primary responsibility will be applying this Thematic approach to the discovery and assessment of manufacturing and resource productivity opportunities through a global and multi-sectoral lens. The APM will also have the opportunity to work collaboratively on other sustainability linked themes, such as transportation electrification. Given the APM will be assessing multiple sectors and industries around the world, consideration will be given to a breadth of existing knowledge and specialty areas.
The APM thrives a dynamic team environment. She or he actively collaborates with their Global Thematic colleagues to maximize the overall performance of the portfolio through actively debating and challenging ideas, sharing knowledge and resources, and embracing an openness to new ideas and perspectives from all team members. The APM also mentors and helps develop less experienced team members as opportunities arise.
The APM is resourceful in proactively building and maintaining an extensive network of industry experts deepen knowledge and challenge incumbent beliefs in the service of making sound long-term investment decisions. He or she builds collaborative relationships with other teams at BCI, inclusive of relationships with other asset classes, to maximize the dissemination of thematic opportunities across BCI. The APM is also responsible for establishing and nurturing relationships with current and prospective management teams.
Being an APM on the Global Thematic team requires a unique skillset. It requires the ability to think outside the box and create structure from undeveloped thematic hypotheses. It also requires strong fundamental valuation and communication skills.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in global investment management, consulting, corporate finance, investment banking or related fields is preferred. Applicants with less than 5 years of experience may be considered at a reduced level
- Relevant degree and/or CFA is preferred
- Strong knowledge of global industrial and business services stocks, or other relevant value chains, as well as global economic drivers
- Strong research, financial modelling, analytical and valuation skills
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Strong interpersonal skills and a history of working successfully in team environments
- Eager, strong work ethic, and desire to learn
- High ethical standards
- Research and develop global themes based on long-term macro trends
- Conduct intensive fundamental analysis with focus on the drivers behind long-term valuation and scenario-based risk analysis
- Perform primary research, develop a network of industry contacts, visit companies, attend trade shows, etc.
- Develop and maintain relationships with research contacts, management teams, and other stakeholders
- Source, select and manage concentrated public stock positions that fit investment themes and can outperform global markets over the long-term
- Contribute to team performance through collaboration with other team members. This includes developing a base knowledge of other team members’ portfolio holdings and themes to contribute insights and research
- Work on various ongoing projects that build and improve on a common core of research for portfolio stocks
- Help mentor and develop less experienced team members
- Perform duties as directed by the Managing Director
- Assist with the day-to-day management of the portfolio including and not limited to, responding to corporate actions, daily cash management, and implementing stock and FX trades
- Embrace and demonstrate high ethical standards
Closing Date: October 11, 2021
To learn more about this position and apply, go to Associate Portfolio Manager, Global Thematic.
BCI provides employees with a productive and fast-paced work environment, competitive compensation, a performance incentive plan, four weeks of vacation, employer-funded health & wellness plans, and a defined benefit pension plan.
Our recruitment process requires that the successful candidate agrees to undergo a criminal record search, education and designation verification; to provide a declaration of no previous or current criminal status; and to comply with our corporate Code of Ethics & Professional Conduct.
Interested in joining our team and want to learn of other career opportunities with BCI? Create a profile and sign up for job alerts at https://careers.bci.ca.